single switch to double to work separate lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I found this site by chance and wondered if anyone can help me fit a double switch. I have installed downlights in my livingroom and they all work fine off the original light switch. However I have 2 lights at the back of the room that I want to work independently.
I have the cables ran from the 2 lights to the switch so now is just a case of wiring it up.

I have swapped the switches and now have one side working the main light but need to know how to wire in the 2 lights onto the other side of the switch...(.looking at back of switch left works main light right works 2 lights)

I was told i needed to run a neutral wire from the original rose which I have done.......is it simply just a case of taking one of the live wires from the left side of the switch and wiring it to the right then wire up the neutral wires?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Peter

Sponsored Links
yes you connect the neutrals from the new lights to your new neutral.

Connect the new light live wires to the new switch e.g terminal L1.

And then a link wire from the working switch (usually COM terminal) to the new switch COM terminal

Thanks for the reply ill have a look when I get home and give it a try....ill let you know how I get on...

On my switch I have com at the top of each side the l1 and l2 at the bottom.....do I put the neutral wires in the l2 slot?

Cheers
Peter

Sponsored Links
No. The neutral must go no where near the switch plate.

Use a junction terminal and tuck it into the back box.

Thanks very much ...I literally just figured it out and was about to post to say so. ....im glad you replied as you have just confirmed things for me

Thanks a lot

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back