Double switch from single

Not true at all.

The Irish tricolour was in use before the creation of the Free State in 1922, as was the Irish national anthem Amhrán na bhFiann. Both of these were subsequently adopted by the Free State however they were both belonging to the 32-County Irish Republic which was proclaimed in 1916, and which had a functioning Parliament, Army, Police Force and Courts for several years. It also had foreign embassies.

The national flag and national anthem are not the property of the 26-County state, and the 32-County Irish Republic was never disestablished.
I did get the feeling that you wished things were other than as they are.

None of this is terribly relevant to an electrical forum, but you brought it up.
Err.... no:
Because it's not the flag of a foreign country. It is the national flag of Ireland, which has 32 counties.

However much you wish that were so, however much you wish that the 32-County Irish Republic which was proclaimed in 1916 still existed, the fact is that it is not and it does not.

Sponsored Links
The state was recognised by numerous governments, including the government of Russia. A delegation even visited the then President of the United States seeking US recognition.

If you are interested in the subject then I would suggest you read "Revolutionary Government in Ireland". There was a functioning state in existence which retained certain organs.

Martin

BTW don't be going borrowing any neutrals form other circuits, as this is wrong too and may lead to even more problems. I am sure BAS will post the links explaining why it is wrong as I can't think of a tv program with it in at the moment.
Frankenstein? ;)

Thanks for the explanation; I genuinely couldn't see if you were trying to be an arse or not :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The state was recognised by numerous governments, including the government of Russia.
But that was nearly 90 years ago.

Things change, things move on.

Reality changes.

The facts change.

The island of Ireland IS divided between two sovereign nations. 6 counties are part of the UK, 26 are not.

26 comprise the state known as Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland, 6 do not.

A delegation even visited the then President of the United States seeking US recognition.
I'm sure they did. I don't know if they got it or not, but even if they did it is now irrelevant, because the state which was recognised no longer exists.

If you are interested in the subject then I would suggest you read "Revolutionary Government in Ireland". There was a functioning state in existence which retained certain organs.
"Was" being the operative word.

That was then, not now.

No matter how much you wish the then were also now, it is not.

No matter how compelling the historical precedents, they remain historical.

No matter how fervently some people wish Ireland was united, it is not.

No matter how rational a case can be put forward for all 32 counties being united into a single state, they are not.

No matter what you believe, the tricolour in your profile is the flag of a foreign sovereign nation, not of any part of the UK.

If you live in one of the 6 counties then no matter how much you pretend that you live in the Republic of Ireland you do not, it remains a pretence.

No matter how much you pretend that the tricolour is the flag of where you live it is not, it remains a pretence.

None of this is terribly relevant to an electrical forum.
Indeed not, so I'm not going to carry on.

I leave it to you to decide if you want to carry on pretending that Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry, and Tyrone are part of the Republic of Ireland, not part of the UK, and if one of those is where you live I leave it to you to decide whether you want to carry on lying about which flag actually represents your location.

So back to the OP's topic. Is borrowing a neutral OK?

Isn't off topic stuff frowned upon by the mods (er where are they today)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back