Double switch from single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

can anyone help?

I have replaced a single switch with a double switch but I can't seem to get it to work.

I have installed an exterior light and ran some twin and earth back to the nearest light switch, which explains why I am replacing the single with the double.

In the original switch(part of a 2 way system as it is the landing light):
R - red wire
L1 - blue wire with red sleeve (seems to be the live)
L2 - yellow wire with red sleeve

In the new switch, I have replicated the wiring for the original light, but whatever way I try wiring the new light, the new light won't operate.

I have swapped the fittings, so can confirm that there is no error with the fitting. I also replaced the cabling today to make sure that there was no problem there.

Sponsored Links
Did you happen to catch last weeks rogue trader - a chap called Craig did exactly as you have done there.

It is available on catchup tv if you have sky or cable and poss on the web too.

Take a look I think it will throw some light on the subject for you.

Martin

Did you happen to catch last weeks rogue trader - a chap called Craig did exactly as you have done there.

It is available on catchup tv if you have sky or cable and poss on the web too.

Take a look I think it will throw some light on the subject for you.

Martin
I really don't get if you're being sarcastic or not.

If I have made an error, then I would appreciate a bit of help - something I thought this forum was supposed to do.

If it is a really basic and schoolboy error, then I do apologise, but nowhere did I say I was a trained electrician :confused:

In the new switch, I have replicated the wiring for the original light, but whatever way I try wiring the new light, the new light won't operate.
That's because it needs a live and a neutral to work, and you don't have a neutral at the switch.

I have swapped the fittings, so can confirm that there is no error with the fitting. I also replaced the cabling today to make sure that there was no problem there.
Just think how much time you'd have saved if you'd found out how it works before doing all that.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Sponsored Links
I wonder when Risteard is going to be helpful rather than just trying to score little points of anything that somebody says.

This is a board meant to help DIYers with practical problems. Throwing in words like line as an alternate to live does not add any value and will only confuse the OP. He has already declared that he know not much.

Maybe Risteard should go and join those in the IET who write and revise BS7671. But then that would only apply for the UK and he doesn't even live here.

But then that would only apply for the UK and he doesn't even live here.

I never said what part of Ireland I live in, so perhaps you're jumping the gun.

Incorrect usage of the term "live" is what is confusing. I see ban all sheds corrects people for referring to ELV as LV (and rightly so), so likewise he should be corrected for referring to line as "live".

If it's in the part that is part of the UK why have you selected the Irish tricolour, i.e. the flag of a foreign country?

I wonder when Risteard is going to be helpful rather than just trying to score little points of anything that somebody says.

This is a board meant to help DIYers with practical problems. Throwing in words like line as an alternate to live does not add any value and will only confuse the OP. He has already declared that he know not much.

Maybe Risteard should go and join those in the IET who write and revise BS7671. But then that would only apply for the UK and he doesn't even live here.
Thanks a lot for that.

I have done a fair bit of electricity DIY jobs both here and in the USA with success, but this one just out-foxed me I suppose.

My best bet, it seems is to look for a convenient feed with a neutral of see if I can take a feed from the other external wall light; my original solution but there didn't seem to be a way around

Because it's not the flag of a foreign country. It is the national flag of Ireland, which has 32 counties.
For all official purposes, including international treaties and other legal documents, the name of the country is Ireland for documents written in English and Éire for documents written in Irish.

That flag is the national flag of the Republic of Ireland, which is a sovereign state, independent of the UK, consisting of 26 counties.

From a UK perspective it is the flag of a foreign country. It is not a cross-border flag representing both of the sovereign states present in the island of Ireland.

I never was good at Geography at school - now I can catch up, and read through the Electrics forum at the same time!

Not true at all.

The Irish tricolour was in use before the creation of the Free State in 1922, as was the Irish national anthem Amhrán na bhFiann. Both of these were subsequently adopted by the Free State however they were both belonging to the 32-County Irish Republic which was proclaimed in 1916, and which had a functioning Parliament, Army, Police Force and Courts for several years. It also had foreign embassies.

The national flag and national anthem are not the property of the 26-County state, and the 32-County Irish Republic was never disestablished.

None of this is terribly relevant to an electrical forum, but you brought it up.

Because it's not the flag of a foreign country. It is the national flag of Ireland, which has 32 counties.
For all official purposes, including international treaties and other legal documents, the name of the country is Ireland for documents written in English and Éire for documents written in Irish.

That flag is the national flag of the Republic of Ireland, which is a sovereign state, independent of the UK, consisting of 26 counties.

From a UK perspective it is the flag of a foreign country. It is not a cross-border flag representing both of the sovereign states present in the island of Ireland.

Hi there

I was not being sarc, it is just such a coincidence that I have seen the same mistake made twice in the same week. The bloke on rouge traders was advertising himself as a roofer and electrician on his literature, not normally two trades normally studied by one person. I take it you are not doing this task connected to your employment. So I thought it would be an easy and entertaining way of seeing the explanation to your predicament delivered by a mainstream tv program.

Martin

BTW don't be going borrowing any neutrals form other circuits, as this is wrong too and may lead to even more problems. I am sure BAS will post the links explaining why it is wrong as I can't think of a tv program with it in at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back