Help replacing a double light switch with a single one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

In my living room there are 2 ceiling lights. On one side of the room there is a double switch which controls both lights (2 switches, one panel). The left switch controls the left light, the right, the right light.

On the other side of the room, there was a dimmer switch which controlled the left light. You had to turn on the light at the switch and then dim it from across the room.

I have replaced this dimmer with a single 2 way switch.

Now this controls the left light as desired but the left light can now be switched on or off by the double switch

I would now like to replace this double switch with a single one (I have a single 2 way ready to go on the wall), but the wires are confusing me.

Here is a photo of the wires

2Large.jpg

The left side as seen in the photo is the switch I want to remove. The right side still correctly controls the right ceiling light.

Single light switch:

3Large.jpg

Can I do this myself, without have to get an electrician in?!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Does the RH switch work "upside down" by any chance?

You'll need a two-terminal piece of choc-block rated at 5A or more.

Make a note of which way the LH switch is when the one you're keeping works the right way (i.e. down for on), as that's what you want to duplicate with the choc-block.

Also, make a note of which wire is where in case it all goes pear-shaped and you have to start over.

Put the two wires that are in (1) into one choc terminal, along with the one from (2) if down was what you noted, or (3) if it was up. Then put the remaining one i.e. (3) or (2) into the other choc terminal on its own.

Re the new switch - the earth wires should go to the switch plate, not the back box - that should just have a short length of G/Y connecting it to the switch.

No the RH switch is correct (you have to push the bottom of the switch to turn the light on).

I have however noticed that the new switch (second photo) is "upside down".

Good point about the earth wires.

I shall try your advice and report back next week after my holiday this weekend! Thanks

Do I spy conduit here?

Also, you need to earth the front plate of the existing switch (the second picture that u posted.)

Sponsored Links
Also, you need to earth the front plate of the existing switch (the second picture that u posted.)
Re the new switch - the earth wires should go to the switch plate, not the back box - that should just have a short length of G/Y connecting it to the switch.
Or did you mean the first pic, of the 2G?

Because that's got an earth terminal too, I've only just noticed....

No the RH switch is correct (you have to push the bottom of the switch to turn the light on).
The whole thing must be upside down then.

I have however noticed that the new switch (second photo) is "upside down".
With 2-way switching the light will be on for both up and down of a switch depending on the position of the other one. All you can do with 2-ways is to obsess over whether the light is on or off when both are in the same position...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back