replacing one light switch with double light switch and new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I take a feed from an existing light to a new light and double switch.
One light is in the hall, and the other in the living room (used to be the hall)
I have fed a wire from the living room light fitting to the hall (new Light fitting)
fed a wire from new light fitting to the switch
the wire from the living room light to switch is still there and will still control that light.
taken out old single switch and want to replace with a double switch, left side to control hall light and right side to control living room light.
wire
Neither light is to be dependent on each other
The new switch has L1 L2 at the bottom and C with C being at the top,this is repeated for the other side of the switch.
Do I need to loop the switch anywhere, and i seem to have a spare cable at the living room light fitting

Sponsored Links
Lok at the stuff in For Reference for details of how lighting circuits work.

Thanks for that reply but have done that and searched all other similar queries.
I am taking the feed from the first light fitting in the circuit of lights, so essentially going backwards with a feed to a new light.
Hope you can be of more assistance. thnx. :D

OK....

nawd32 said:
I have fed a wire from the living room light fitting to the hall (new Light fitting)
Good - that's your permanent live.

fed a wire from new light fitting to the switch
And that's your switch wire. Permanent live to C, switched live from L1.

Job done.

taken out old single switch and want to replace with a double switch, left side to control hall light and right side to control living room light.
wire
Neither light is to be dependent on each other
The new switch has L1 L2 at the bottom and C with C being at the top,this is repeated for the other side of the switch.
Wires from old single switch into C & L1.

New wires from new light into the other C & L1.

Do I need to loop the switch anywhere,
I would say not, as you've not described a system with loop-at-the-switch....

and i seem to have a spare cable at the living room light fitting
How so?

Sponsored Links
Thnx for that, :D and have done all of that based on the diagrams, and limited knowledge of wiring lights, but there is a wire left over, which when attached to the old light fitting anywhere trips the lights, when i turn the switch of, its ok when its on. and may I ask how do you know its a looped at the switch?
thought i may have to loop via a L1 and a C.
Thanks

nawd32 said:
Thnx for that, :D and have done all of that based on the diagrams, and limited knowledge of wiring lights, but there is a wire left over,
If you didn't introduce it, then it must already have been there. So where was it connected before?

may I ask how do you know its a looped at the switch?
I said that it wasn't looped at the switches, on the grounds that you would not have done what you describe doing if it were...

thought i may have to loop via a L1 and a C.
What do you think looping at switches means?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back