OLD TO NEW WIRING - 2 WAY LIGHT SWITCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

hoping someone can help me to fit two new 2 way light switches in my hall and living room.

Current set up is that I have a light switch with 2 switches in the hallway. One of these switches operates the hall light, and the other operates the living room light.

I have the same kind of light switch in the living room, one of these switches operates the living room light, and the other operates the landing light.

I'm changing the light switches only to put some new ones on, but not sure where the wires from the old switch (labelled A, A1, B, B1 etc) should connect to the new switch which just has L, L1 and L2.

I've attached a few diagrams of the existing wiring in the hall and living room. All I need to know is which wire on the old setup goes to the wires on the new set.

Thanks in advance for any words of advice!

View media item 82515 View media item 82514

Sponsored Links
My advice is:

1) Get a multimeter, as you should not be doing electrical work if you don't have one.

2) Learn how switches work, as without that fundamental knowledge you should not be doing electrical work.

3) By combining 1 & 2 identify which terminals are which on your switches and thus safely and competently do the work you've decided to do.

Alternatively just wait for one of the unprincipled and callously uncaring fools on this site to come along and encourage and support you in your desire to do electrical work on the basis of blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without actually having a clue as to why.

To be a little more constructive and in answer to your questions

The old arrangement comprises 2 switches in the one module (switch A and switch B)

Consider switch A

The A terminal is equivalent to L on your new switch
The A1 terminal is equivalent to L1 on your new switch
The A2 terminal is equivalent to L2 on your new switch

The connections for the B switch are similar

If, when you wire it up you find the operation of a switch is "upside down" then simple swap over the relevant switch wire(s) from the L1 and L2 terminals

one other important point ... IF the new switches are metal ones, you must earth them by connecting the earth wire (with some green/yellow sleeving) from the cables to the earth terminal provided on the switch plate.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Alternatively just wait for one of the unprincipled and callously uncaring fools on this site to come along and encourage and support you in your desire to do electrical work on the basis of blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without actually having a clue as to why.
There you go, OP - you didn't have to wait long for such a person to come along, did you.

Whilst doing your (1) and (2), as you suggest, are to be commended, neither nor both will permit one to fly solo and "safely and competently" do the job, if one has no knowledge of electrical fundamentals; so your offerings may be considered equally as "callously uncaring".

A proper stance would be to state : "An apparent lack of knowledge exposes you to lethal danger and we can only recommend that you seek the services of a competent electrical technician".

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. Took note of all of them and the light switches are sorted and working fine. Particular thanks to Jackrae and JohnW for the practical advice.

Whilst doing your (1) and (2), as you suggest, are to be commended, neither nor both will permit one to fly solo and "safely and competently" do the job, if one has no knowledge of electrical fundamentals;
1) Agreed - I should have added "and learn how to use it".

2) Learn how switches work

so your offerings may be considered equally as "callously uncaring".
Equally?

Equally?

My advice was as equally unprincipled and uncaring as that which encouraged and supported someone to do electrical work on the basis of blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without actually having a clue as to why?

You
55x14_black.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back