Wiring new double switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I bought a new two way switch for the hall today. The switch operates hall light and the outside light. there is also a separate single switch further up the hall, that operates hall light also.

Normally I would just copy the wiring from old switch, however new switch has Com, L1 and L2 connections, but the old switch has L1 , L2 and L3.

Any idea how the new switch relates to the wiring in the old one?

Knowledge of wiring not brill - as you can probably tell. Don't worry I have no plans to kill myself or burn house down. Cheers

Sponsored Links
pictures pictures pictures..

we'll post more once we can see what the problem is..
[code:1]
old new

L1 = COM
L2 = L1
L3 = L2[/code:1]

ok, so my original reply was a bit knee jerk..

but we will need pictures to confirm..

switches are not wired "top and bottom" just so you know..

the Com on on side will correspond to the L1 and L2 on the opposite side..

View media item 10422
( ignore the wires, they were for another persons problem )

Sponsored Links
yeah but most commonly on cheapo monoblock 2g light switches..
if it's a posher one or a 2g dimmer or grid switch etc then it may have 2 separate "blocks" placed the same way round...

but then that's just confusing the issue.. and until we get a make / model of switch from the OP, or a picture then we're all just best guessing..

Scolmore Click, for example, have COM/L1 along the top and all the L1&L2 or L2&L3 along the bottom.

Thanks Guys

Do you need a picture of wiring to old socket?. The new socket is a MK Lightswitch 10amp Double 2 way.

Will post pictures if required.

As long as you're happy that you can identify the two L1/L2/L3 groups on your old switch, and the COM/L1/L2 ones on the new then you're all set. You can probably see any lines or other marks on the switches better than would show up in a photo anyway.

But you might want to make careful notes and take photos, in case it all goes t*ts-up. Not that it should.

Cheers for that. Will do it 2morrow and let you know how 'Operation Change Light Switch' goes........
:LOL:
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back