Difficulty wiring 2 lights to 3 switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just changed two of three light switches in my hallway which control 2 lights.

In the middle of the hall I have a double switch, on which each of the two switches controls one of the lights at either end of the hall.

At either end of the hall i have a single switch, which controls the light closest to the switch.

I've changed one of the end switches by connecting L1 to L1, L2 to L2 and Common to L3 (all wires are red)

I've then changed the double switch in the middle of the hall, again connecting the six wires (three on each) L1 to L1, L2 to L2 and Common to L3.

I took care to ensure i connected the wires as they were in the old switches, but i've clearly done something wrong as the switches at either end of the hall only work when the switch in the middle of the hall is in a specific position. For example, the switch at the end of the hall only control the light closest to it when the switch in the middle of the hall is in the On position - turning it to Off removes the ability for the single switch to turn it on.

I get the same behaviour on the light whose switch I havnt yet changed.

If anyone can offer any advice, I'll be very grateful!
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You've made the wrong assumptions about COM/L1/L2 etc...

L1/L2/L3/COM:

OLD. . . . . NEW
. L1. . . . . COM
. L2. . . . . L1
. L3. . . . . L2

If you'd checked first with your multimeter instead of guessing you wouldn't have gone wrong... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back