Burying hose pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all-

Bit of a left field one; I have two water butts connected to out buildings that fill up really quickly during the winter. Previously I've been emptying them manually but during a rainy couple of days they can fill quickly and spill over before I have a chance to sort it, so I've bought a couple of pumps with float switches to stick in. I need to pump the water to a drain across the lawn, and the kit has standard hose connections, but I'm wondering if it's wise to bury standard hose pipe or I should get some 25mm mdpe pipe? I'd have to add a few connections to convert so it's a ballache, but i'm concerned garden hose could be crushed longer term under the ground (i wouldnt be burying it deep, just need it out of the way).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My non official view is that it will probably be OK, but I think a lot depends on the consequences of a blockage. Sounds like it wouldn't be a total disaster. I feel like the main risk would be accidentally digging through it!

My experience is that over time ordinary hose pipe in an un-pressurised system can be squashed flat if buried even if it is only people walking over the pipe.

I recently had some block paving laid, and requested the guys also lay some drain pipe (without 90Deg elbows...) from the outside tap to the edge of the lawn in order to feed a hose through. You might like to consider a similar option. It doesn't fill with rain as I've fitted a gulley outlet to the top of both upstands. And then if it does, I'll just blow it out with compressed air or suck with wet vac.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I have MDPE that runs under my side path to connect a down pipe to a remote butt
It’s 18” down as I was also running armoured power.

I would be concerned at any pipe freezing?

I also have a massive barrel at the bottom of the garden and considered digging a 40 foot long trench for a pipe but it’s easier to use a hose and pump given the effort involved. If I was laying a path/ fence I might change my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back