Buried pipe to extend hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a patio laid in front of my house. I have the opportunity to put a pipe underground from the back of the property, where my outside tap is, through to the front. This will save me running a hose the 15m or so just to get it close to the cars, front gardens, patio, garage and so on before needing extra length to actually reach anything.

I thought of burying a water pipe with say 0.5m above the surface at each end. I could then add hose connections on those ends where it comes out of the ground. I plan to connect it to the tap at the rear of the house with a short piece of hose when needed. I will then connect a full hose to the far end in the front garden for watering, washing or whatever.

I have looked at 25mm MDPE Polypipe. Would this work? Can you get fittings that go on the end and provide bayonet hose connections? Will it matter that it sits there for 6 months at a time full of water but unused?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Key considerations are
  • Mechanical damage - to do it right, it really needs to be secured as a stand pipe or against a wall and trenched deep enough (>750mm) to stop it being stressed or pulled up or punctured.
  • Freezing - unless you can drain it, it needs to be trenched deep enough (>750mm) + lagged above ground
  • Ease of use - would be more sensible to bib tap it, more flexibility and no issue with hose connections.
MDPE would be the choice yes, numerous bib taps available to fit. I'd make it a more permanent fixture to give years of trouble free use.

Thanks for that nice clear reply Rob. Burying it so deep for the whole run could be an issue in this case. The stone of the patio and its base might help shield the pipe from mechanical damage from above a bit. Are there alternatives to MDPE which can better deal with freezing though?

No real alternatives to use as a durable install, just lag it well if it's to be live all year round.

That being said, if you isolate and can leave one end open, if you can't drain it (blow through pipe?), prior to freezing periods, then you shouldn't really have an issue.

Sponsored Links
I think that may be my best alternative Rob.

Nice to know it is the right choice of piping.

Of course the other alternative is to intercept a cold supply already at the front of the house and fit a standard outside tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back