Water Tap Fitting for MDPE pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I have a water supply on my allotment that comes from a MDPE pipe. There used to be a standard tap fitting on the end that a hose could be connected to but it has been stolen. This leaves a brass stop cock connected to the MDPE pipe with a 1" male thread on the end (i think). I want to be able to connect a hose to the water supply and have searched for a suitable connector but cannot find one. I want a standard brass tap fitting which i can connect a hose to. Can any one give me any advice please??

Here's a photo of the existing fitting

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
just goto plumb center they would be able to sort you out
or may be at pinch b and q

you need to identify that pipe fitting. that is not an inch thead that shoukd have a nut on it like the other end if you cannot identify the make and find a suppler do this which is what i would do anyway

buy one of these
//media.diynot.com/159000_158781_34740_75202643_thumb.jpg
or similar from a local merchant

and i fitting to reduce this plasic fitting to copper to attach a tap

dont forget you should have a double check valve before an outside tap

open the existing valve and with the new one ready and open cut the pipe put new valve on tighten and then close and attach the rest of your pipework

Thanks for your replys

Went to a couple of plumbing places but they couldn't help me, esp b and q.

I have looked at the various MDPE fittings available online but couldn't figure out a straight forward way to get a standard tap to fit on to the fitting. It puzzles me a bit because there was originally a tap on there so I thought it would be fairly simple job to replace. The simpler the soloution the better for me although im willing to try whatever to get my hose working. Watering by hand takes ages! Thought i could possiblly use one of these and attach a tap fitting to the end but not sure how to go about it without removing the stopcock thats there already (which probs needs to stay there too)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=360316449604

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
That is an old-style Philmac stop cock. you will not find a anything that will fit directly onto that thread.

Is it possible to cut it off and start from scratch, or is there no way of isolating it?

philmac thats the one my merchant has changed now i tend to use a squeeze off tool but as your at an allotment there shouldnt be too much damage done by just cutting it

philmac thats the one my merchant has changed now i tend to use a squeeze off tool but as your at an allotment there shouldnt be too much damage done by just cutting it

I would imagine though, that the other end of the fitting is still live, so yes, you could just cut it and let the pipe snake everywhere showering your veggy patch, and you probably, while you attempt to replace the fitting. Or you could, if you have the necessary fittings and know how, do it the correct way. If you can isolate the pipe further back along the line, then great, this will make your job a lot easier, and drier!! :)

Yep, definitely an old philmac. I have several in my outside plumbing bag, 20 and 25mm (sorry, cba to post and you'd be better replacing anyway)

And yes - pair of secateurs, a liner and a new philmac plastic stopcock.

Piece of cake to replace even if unable to isolate supply. I do these very often and often do them live even if I can isolate it for speed.

Clean the pipe if it's dirty.

Open the old stop cock to reduce pressure.

Open the new stop cock fully.

Cut the pipe 3 inches back from the old fitting, pointing it away from you.

Push the liner inside it.

Fit the new stop cock over (obeying the arrow) and tighten hand-tight.

Close stop cock.

Five seconds if you're good!

Yep, definitely an old philmac. I have several in my outside plumbing bag, 20 and 25mm (sorry, cba to post and you'd be better replacing anyway)

And yes - pair of secateurs, a liner and a new philmac plastic stopcock.
Piece of cake to replace even if unable to isolate supply. I do these very often and often do them live even if I can isolate it for speed.
Clean the pipe if it's dirty.
Open the old stop cock to reduce pressure.
Open the new stop cock fully.
Cut the pipe 3 inches back from the old fitting, pointing it away from you.
Push the liner inside it.
Fit the new stop cock over (obeying the arrow) and tighten hand-tight.
Close stop cock.
Five seconds if you're good!

I have done the above work many times in peoples property, it's good for your blood pressure. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back