Leaky MDPE fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a new MDPE water supply pipe connectd to replace the old lead one. In routing the pipe through the house I've used about 6 various fittings (stop cock, tees, MDPE-copper adapters) and of the 14 joints, two have slow leaks.

I could cut off the ends of the pipes, replace the inserts and replace the fittings - but I expect only one of them is faulty. Is there a common cause of leaky MDPE fittings?

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
They are compression type. I got different ones from different places but I think the two which are failing were from Wickes.

Sponsored Links
Right, problem solved. Replaced the pipe insert. Was dripping about every second, now dry as a bone.

Interestingly, perhaps, I did 14 connections, 12 with Screwfix inserts and two with B&Q ones (ran out at 8:45 at night, with no drinking water). The one which leaked badly was a B&Q one - and much shorter than the replacement I bought from the plumbing shop.

Both inserts would have gone up past the o-ring, but the B&Q one wouldn't have gone up to the clamp part. I wonder whether that was relevant.

The other leaking one is leaking so slowly - more of a seep really - that I haven't managed to sum up the energy to do anything about it yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back