Stream fed irrigation

crt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a tiny stream alongside the garden and the previous owners had used this for watering the garden by laying a 25/30mm pipe from the stream head and then connecting a hosepipe to it (there is a drop of about 2m from the head of the stream to where the hosepipe is connected). It works well but the large pipe is perishing and I think we could improve it.

What I have in mind is laying a 25mm MDPE pipe down the stream to a water butt, feeding the butt either with the 25mm pipe or reducing it to 15/20mm, and then providing for a hose connection to the pipe as well as putting a ball valve on the feed to the butt. This would mean we could take a hose off whenever we wanted and always keep the butt topped up for immediate use as well.

Can anyone see any problems with this, e.g.:

1. is abstraction in this way permitted without an abstraction licence?

2. does the thicker feed pipe need to be reduced before it hits the butt or can it just go straight in at 25mm gauge?

3. will the pipework need to be buried for frost protection or will lagging of the exposed parts be sufficient?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that you are not "allowed" to take water from a water course, even if it's through your property, but I'd check with t'council (or, don't bother as who'll know, apart from us)

i have to agree, its catch 22

ask them they will watch you, let them fid you and you will wish you handn't

NMRA is national river authority

Sponsored Links
Environmental Agency website says abstraction licence is needed unless an exemption applies. One of the exemptions is if you are going to abstract less thatn 20 cubic metres (4,000 gallons) a day. Our abstraction will be less than that so we ought to be alright.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back