Bush Virus or Insect Attack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Just noticed that a few bushes in the garden appear to have been attacked by insects pr have a virus! Anyone knows of how to cure and rejuvenate the plants?

Many Thanks

Caesar

Attachments

• IMG_1675.JPG
    IMG_1675.JPG
    632.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    670.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    656.8 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
I can see the caterpillars on the bush from your pics. I can't remember the name of them, but they're a new arrival and decimate a lot of box hedge type plants. You could try picking them all off by hand and destroying the caterpillars, or pull up the bushes because they don't stop until they're all eaten.
Sorry about that...

Sponsored Links
I think it may be the Box Caterpillar. Fine webbing is found but the insect is very small and I didn't see it. Attacked patches like yours.

I was struck by it about 10 days ago and used Bayer Provado Ultimate spray. It seems to have worked, I caught it earlier than you and the infested patches seem to be recovering as this time of year they are puting out new leaves.

In a corner that was sheltered by a bay tree I found some more infested Box and sprayed it on Friday, it is too soon to know if it will work.

GQT said a couple of weeks ago that it could not be cured. IIRC Provado is a systemic so I will see how I get on with it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back