Fushia bush/plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm a novice when it comes to plants, i have various evergreens around my garden i have at the moment a red fushia bush which is a few years old and is approx 5-6foot highat present it still has lovely red flowers on it,
i want to know can i re-plant this in the opposite side of my garden as i want it to fill the corner space- if so when can i re-plant it,,advice needed thanks :confused:
UNSURE GARDENER :confused:

Sponsored Links
The best time to move plants is either in autumn or spring (Mid to late Oct or Late March to April). Ensure that when you move it, you take a good size rootball with you, then when you have transplanted it, ensure that you keep it well watered for a few weeks, regardless of whether or not it rains. Good luck, and note, it could still die, some plants take great exception to being moved. :(

Also ensure that where you are moving the plant to is a suitable situation, i.e. if your moving it from a nice sunny sheltered spot to a north facing wall, expect problems !

Hi, you'd probably do as well to take a few cuttings from this bush fuchsia BEFORE you think about moving it, just so you have a few replacements in reserve.

To lift it, you need to make sure it's well watered first, then dig around your bush, keeping as much rootball as possible, without cutting into the main roots, and having the new hole ready prepared, lift it, bush, rootball and all, and straight in.

Good luck, as has been said, large bushes don't take too kindly to being moved.

thanks i'll have a go in mid october as was suggested hopefully it will take thanks for all the advice.

Sponsored Links
Most fuchsias are not hardy so need to be in a greenhouse in the winter but yours is apparently one of the hardy varieties.
If you take some cuttings you could pinch out all the side growth on one and allow it to spread once it's at a reasonable height.
This is how you train them as standards like trees instead of bushes.

It will benefit from a good pruning after you have moved it. Do NOT do this until march however (assuming you do it in october) Be quite hard with it and cut it back quite far down. It will look drastic but is should grow back and benefit well from it

Thermo :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back