driveway plant advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

first time gardener needing some advise.

our driveway is paved with planting space in three corners. One corner there is a waste high plant (dont have a clue with the name!) and that is good.

Other two corners are a bit of a problem. In one small one there is complete weed at the moment. I will remove the weed and was thinking of putting a rose plant there.

Other corner had two plants - one looks "frosted" and other was with green/white leaves. These were almost destroyed with slugs last year.

I am looking to put new plants in the two corners.

1) Any advise and tips for rose plant? any particular variety? I am in NW london.

2) Any advise on what to do with other corner. Ideally with some flowers but i think flowered plants require much more maintenance. having just had a baby i doubt if i can give it that much time.

ta

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will have any trouble growing any type of rose in North London it's a fairly mild climate. I would however search for a thornless variety, much more people friendly on a driveway.

Regards
footprints

Without knowing the size of these spaces, it's hard to advise. It sounds like the slugged plant might have been a hosta. Flowering plants are not necessarily any harder to look after than foliage. If you're not much of a gardener, I wouldn't recommend starting with a rose. They can be fickle, prone to pests and diseases and need careful pruning an maintenance.

Some suggestions - fatsia japonica, phormium, fuschia, hebe, lavender, rosemary, pittosporum, escallonia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back