Butane Gas cylinder - 30min fire resistant housing

curlydon wrote: I don't see any mention of ventilation re- your cupboard, is there any ?

Yes, the cylinder housing is ventilated with a decorative pattern of holes top and bottom. Another shock the engineer gave us because he claimed we had to ventilate the housing to outside air and even GasSafe were confused about this. Luckily Calor emailed us copies of BSF482 and UKLPG Code of Practice 24 Part 1 which proved we didn't have to vent to outside the property, which is impossible with the cooker's present location) and that the vents (holes) we had were more than sufficient for the minimum required by BS5482 Part 1, 11.3.1.2, (d), i.e.:

"... Where an enclosure is to be provided for butane cylinders used inside residential premises, both vents may communicate either with the same room or internal space, or with the outside air at the same wall. The total area of the opening of the upper vent should be at least 1/100th of the floor area of the housing. The lower vent should not be less than 1/100th of the floor area of the housing when communicating direct to outside or 5/100th of the floor area of the housing when communicating with the room or compartment."

It seems there is a lot of confusion surrounding the use of Butane in the home.

[/u][/b]

Sponsored Links
wsts is a ex stoves engineer when he sees your post he'll let you know what needs to be done !

His other name is Pelchy ! aint it shane !

:LOL: He will deny this in an attempt to turn it back on me ! :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sorry I must be missing something here.
But I am happily sitting infront of a butane gas fire (bottle behind the gas fire) without any fire protection unless the flimsy steel case
of the gas fire is classed as 30 minutes fire protection.

Am I missing the point is any fire protect required for a steel butane gas cylinder?

I would get another engineer if I were you
and ditch the one you have been messing with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back