Butler Bell wiring

12 way from a very posh house I was working in:

26102006279.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well here is a pic of it mounted with the transformer next to it.

The transformer terminal covers are made from bakelite or something like it i think that's why I supposed it was of 1930s or 40s vintage - not, I must admit, as good looking as some of the ones with wooden surrounds posted here of an earlier time. The labels are new of course.
Thanks for the pics and diagrams I'll try and make sense of it and see if the wiring resembles the one I've got - I've seen the back of this and it has quite a few springs (not, it appears, associated with the tremblers), terminals and wires - so a bit confusing.
I may have to take it down sometime so I may have a pic of the back.

Wow these are posh.

The only one I have seen was a single wire per bell with no tell tale. Did not need a battery or a transformer.

All you had to do was keep the wire reasonably tight so when the end was pulled the bell rang

;)

I've just worked through one, having had to re-plaster, and then replace the call box.

Here is my attempt at figuring out the wiring, complete with transformer, and a circuit plan that looks about right which I found elsewhere online. The bell is integrated onto the same base board as the call box. The transformer is separate.
It has feeds from front door, 3x downstairs rooms and 2x upstairs rooms.
It took me a while to figure it all out, so I hope it helps save you some time.

Sponsored Links
This thread is eight and a half years old! I guess he's either figured it out, given up, or sold the property.

Im sure he dont need you to tell him the obvious, if he wants to take his own time to post info that will possibly assist others who do a search then good for him.
Lot more helpfull than your input !

Im sure he dont need you to tell him the obvious, if he wants to take his own time to post info that will possibly assist others who do a search then good for him.
Lot more helpfull than your input !

IT is generally accepted that you don't bring up ancient threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back