Buy a boiler online and get gas engineer to install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to replace "like for like" an heat only boiler on an S-plan. It's a simple job apart controls where most installers so far have shown no clue on how to design a system to maximise condensation (PDHW system) and modify S-plan cleverly to do so. Better I actually design it myself and get an electrician to fit advanced controls (Vsmart etc.). No point asking these traders how enhanced controls works, just a waste of time.

Is it possible/common practice buying a Vaillant EcoTec online and get a gas register tradesmen to install it and still enable the 10 yrs warranty? Can I connect the Vsmart myself without affecting the warranty?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where are you planning buying it from online? You may have to produce gas safe details. I’m not up on PDHW systems myself as I have no demand for it in my current employment. As for the warranty I wouldn’t know.

I would buy the bolier, flue, filter, condensate pipes, Sentinel, and controls from screwfix and get them installed by a trader.
I received a quote from trader that made me think "Boiler swap and magnetic filter installation cost £xxxx (labour) price includes free chemical flush, adding inhibitor, gas certificate and warranty registration with the manufacturer". Does it make sense?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like you'll find anyone clever enough to match your demands.
Best of luck.
Spoke with few so far and they tend to focus on the gas and plumbing side of the job. One told me about how the new boiler would be 95% efficient and when I ask how you do it because I have an S-plan with Hive and two pipe - so no separate flow temp CH / HW - he had no clue what I was talking about... How can they claim 95% efficiency!

Spoke with few so far and they tend to focus on the gas and plumbing side of the job. One told me about how the new boiler would be 95% efficient and when I ask how you do it because I have an S-plan with Hive and two pipe - so no separate flow temp CH / HW - he had no clue what I was talking about... How can they claim 95% efficiency!
I think the efficiency claims come from the boiler manufacturer, ie, the boiler is up to 95% efficient, so probably just passing on the info.

I would buy the bolier, flue, filter, condensate pipes, Sentinel, and controls from screwfix and get them installed by a trader.
I received a quote from trader that made me think "Boiler swap and magnetic filter installation cost £xxxx (labour) price includes free chemical flush, adding inhibitor, gas certificate and warranty registration with the manufacturer". Does it make sense?
I think it makes sense what you’ve written but you may struggle with what you’re asking.

Is it possible/common practice buying a Vaillant EcoTec online and get a gas register tradesmen to install it and still enable the 10 yrs warranty?
It’s not common practice but that’s what I did. After an over the top quote from BG, I was going to buy my own boiler and get a gas registered fitter to fit it. I had a quote of £680 to fit it including all parts (BG wanted £600 alone just for scaffolding or tower to fit the flue trim - my bloke shinned up a ladder). As it turned out, the fitter said he would get the boiler for me cheaper than I could get online. They were Vaillant installers so they registered it for me and I got the 7 years guarantee. I ended up paying £1640 in total for a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 418 supplied and fitted. That was 5 years ago though! BG wanted over £3,500 for a cheaper Ecotec pure.

from screwfix . How much did you win on the lottery ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back