S Plan to support Opentherm - TADO smart thermostat EU model

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

My first post here in hope you guys can help.
Got my first house and upgraded the boiler to an IDEAL VOGUE MAX S18 - it is a system boiler as I have a water tank in house 16yrs old.

I thought being clever and looked into Opentherm due to effeminacy etc and got myself TADO smart thermostat 3v (EU model as it supports Opentherm whilst the UK one is just On/Off zones for HW/CH).

Thought to myself, no brainer get OT model and easy to save money!! Well little did I know …. or nothing rather.

Now seeing that house is on a S PLAN and you cant get OT installed without rewiring the whole house between controller <> boiler

Really? Is that a case? Has anybody managed to get OT with TADO working on a S PLAN?

If so, how?
What has been done please?

Further more, will also look into PDHW with an normally open valve to have HW priority.

Atm have a boiler installed but no thermostat as the plumber and his electrician had o clue about PDHW and Opentherm installation.

If this has no sucssess then I will have to replace it with the UK model with a simple On/Off zone and stick to the ongoing old fashion setup which seem to be making boiler always run at 75degree at all time whether using HW or CH which seems not very clever and effecient.

Best outcome would be OT/PDHW and Wheathercomp implemented.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not sure about the OT but weather comp on pdhw is doable although you might have to change the c/heating 2 port head for a normally open.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-13 091359.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-13 091359.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Screenshot 2022-09-13 091553.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-13 091553.png
    253 KB · Views: 167
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Here are some screenshots, and it appears your boiler has opentherm connections and weather compensation. It should be a case of wiring the Tado near to the wiring center and use the existing thermostat wiring for the opentherm connections on the Tado.

Attachments

• 32A2EFF3-0049-428F-9DAA-10202AEC8839.jpeg
    32A2EFF3-0049-428F-9DAA-10202AEC8839.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 190A9948-A0A0-4319-A18A-6B800CA48663.jpeg
    190A9948-A0A0-4319-A18A-6B800CA48663.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 135
Hey All

The Tado wireless smart thermostat does have a build in wheather comp using the internet and won't require a sensor. In that respect, how would the wheather comp wiring go?

As for the PDHW needing a NO ZV , just struggling to find the right one (stores seem not to have it available) and then the wiring required.

My understanding is once PDHW is in place then the OT will be a simple connection of the + - on the OT connectors.

I am newbie on this and still struggling

Sponsored Links
You wont get OT with an S plan system, the receivers open and close the zone valves and the valve scontrol the boiler , so no OT Im afraid

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
You wont get OT with an S plan system, the receivers open and close the zone valves and the valve scontrol the boiler , so no OT Im afraid
Not necessarily Ian, it is doable with EPH controls, receivers open and close the valves, OT controls boiler firing and temperature. Tado might be similar but I've never used Tado.

It is frustrating … nobody has a concrete answer if TADO EU model supports the ability to work on Opentherm and PDHW.

S plan will be converted to X Plan as the CH zone valve will then be NormallyOpen.

The only issue is how the wiring go …

The vogue smax does support opentherm when used in an adjusted s plan system. As it has 2 switch live inputs. Adjust the S PLAN piping to a PDHW Priority hot water design, with a norm open zone valve on htg. Then have an opentherm stat or wifi base receiver wired to send a switch live to s2 and also the low voltage opentherm connections made. and a usually seperate switch controller to the S1 connection . Nest does this all in 1 unit but nest don't have Smart trvs. for those who want them Tado (eu version) combi set £199 in conjuction with its seperate wired in wall stat £100 ish ,wired and programmed only as an on off water timer . Drayton can do this using there combi stat and base receiver £100 ish and there 16amp max relay unit wified to a 2nd wall thermostat £170 ish programmed to just do on and off times.this will allow these 2 brands to have in App control of HW and HTG and the wall stats can be given a name in the apps as hot water controllers. temp settings will have to be set at max and minimum.for both brands to avoid the temp reading function having an effect ie set off times to min -5 and on time to max +30 .for tado and drayton this is a work around as they Do not provide a 2 channel controller with opentherm at this time. So in affect the 2nd wall stats from each manufacturer are used as remote Hot water cylinder on off switches controllable in App. The cylinders own mounted thermostat sets hot water temp. And you can also have the these brands smart trvs on radiators. If your NOT bothered about HW in App controller then any WiFi or manual controlled switch/programmer in theory can be used to turn HW on when required.

The vouge is rubbish on OT anyway.

Just put it on weather comp with the local sensor (tados internet weathercomp is poor) and use X plan PDHW.

X plan PDHW is not simple on tado either (lol).

Ive literally been asking them for YEARS to implement it on the 2nd channel on the extension box. So you have to fudge it with multiple wired smart thermostats.

Market forces dictate what manus will implement . Tado is just like all manus. The adjusted S plan works but it may be a Yr or 2 before twin channel products for S plan X plan type designs hit the market.

Tado have tried to retrospectively charge users for features so that really isn't the case.

They also took away features from the UK market and had to do a PR campaign to undo it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back