Buy a scaffold tower, or buy some proper scaffolding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Both my house and some very tall hedges are much easier to work on with a proper platform, at first storey height or above. Having had scaffold on the house I really appreciate how easy it makes things and how it makes more jobs possible to DIY.

I could see we would get regular use out of a scaffold platform 10m long by 5m high but is it a bit extreme to buy actual scaffolding poles? Some quick guesstimation looking at what we've got on the house right now says it really wouldn't need that much to have a run along one wall.
The other obvious option is a scaffold tower something like https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/Home-Master-DIY-Scaffold-Towers.html. That's the best part of a grand for a large one and while I own and like their products, they're not in the same league as actual scaffold for stability and strength. If I'm at eaves height I don't want to be wobbling around! It seems like I could buy scaffolding for a similar price and that would also be much longer than a 6' tower. I'm actually quite surprised how cheap it is to buy my own pipes, fittings, etc and that's before looking 2nd hand.

Obviously convenience and weight is a factor, so I'm wondering is it overkill to buy some proper kit (I can store it but not indoors)... What has anyone else done in my situation where you have frequent need to work at height and don't want to pay someone else to do it?

Sponsored Links
How long before someone chips in with….”You have to have xxx qualification to use a tower….."?

Sponsored Links

:p

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Have a look at Quickfit scaffold towers in Shipley

The cheap one is ok for light use, but you wouldn't want to go much past first floor. As they're steel you'll need to keep them in a shed

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A lot more work putting up scaffold than a tower.
Yeah for sure, the weight is a concern
Have a look at Quickfit scaffold towers in Shipley

The cheap one is ok for light use, but you wouldn't want to go much past first floor. As they're steel you'll need to keep them in a shed
Main limitation I see on a tower is they are tall and narrow and more often, I'd much prefer a longer run.

I did find some products like this Kwikstage which seem a bit of a between solution, never seen these before: https://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/products/kwikstage-packages.html

Got my boss alu tower second hand on eBay, 700 quid for a 10m lift but that was many years ago now. I've used it as 2x5m lifts with planks between (I fashioned my own guard rail to slot onto the top)

Also picked up 15m lift of that nasty H shaped stuff that slots together nice when new but is a pig when it rusts and people end up hammering it together/apart which bends it more and makes it worse. Spend ages straightening it out but keep catching family members borrowing it and taking a hammer to it. Arseholes. That stuff tends to be cheap when abused but fairly good for long runs if you put multiple towers and plank over them, if you want to put the time into straightening it out again

He already has tower of some kind but don't like the wobble.
Nothing wobbles when you fasten it to the building with concrete screws!

Either that or just spend some time on it; longer you spend the more you get used to it

That's less of a concern than when you drop a piece. Could do serious damage
Someone posted recently a pic of some cladding but in the background the builder and his mate taking the pole scaffold down, and the guy up top is literally dropping the pole end-on down to the guy below to catch; mental - one moment of inattention and the guy's head would be stoved in

Yeah for sure, the weight is a concern

Main limitation I see on a tower is they are tall and narrow and more often, I'd much prefer a longer run.

I did find some products like this Kwikstage which seem a bit of a between solution, never seen these before: https://www.scaffoldingsupplies.co.uk/products/kwikstage-packages.html
Round here most scaffolding you see on houses is kwikstage. Buy it second hand, build your house/extension, sell it on for what you paid for it. Not much use for a small quick job, and ideally you want a 2nd person to help put it up

Other issues with a tower is that it cannot provide access to some areas sure to outbuildings jutting out... A 2m long tower simply won't fit whereas a scaffold run can easily be fit around it. I can't really access these areas by ladder for the same reason, my perfect solution would be a lightweight tower that's 3m long, does this exist?

The notes I think about it, the more I have to accept full steel scaffold poles are probably outside my capability. I know you can get aluminium ones but even so constructing is not super easy so I think I'll have to write that off unless there's is some sort of "easy fix" scaffold out there, I thought that's maybe what Kwikstage is but perhaps not.

Although possibly this is getting close assuming you can tweak it slightly to reposition braces and build it on top/around an outbuilding: https://www.scaffold-tower.co.uk/product/industrial-scaffold-tower/

This is the problem case, though I also have two large bay windows at the front which likewise cause issues. I need to measure the widths.

16797510177734346196572699102694.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back