Alloy or steel scaffold tower for DIY?

Kwikstage scaffolding is very good and stable . Much better to work off than a wobbly ali tower
I use it all the time.
However- it is very heavy to move about.
You can buy a 32' run on ebay which will give you a working height of approx- 7 metres (dont quote me on that).
A 16' run will double that height.
It is easy to put up-- but- like I say- very heavy- especially for 'pen pushers' or keyboard tappers.
it is also easily sold on after you finish with it.
The amount of scaffold I have mentioned can be bought for approx £700.

Sponsored Links
Kwikstage scaffolding is very good and stable . Much better to work off than a wobbly ali tower

It is good stuff , and like you say stable. We would , however, not tap the wedges tight on the top uprights above the handrails and it was funny how some architects and the like felt how unsafe it wa with the little tapping noises from the very slight sway. :LOL:

It is good stuff , and like you say stable. We would , however, not tap the wedges tight on the top uprights above the handrails and it was funny how some architects and the like felt how unsafe it wa with the little tapping noises from the very slight sway. :LOL:

Architecs draw pretty little drawings on big sheets of paper. everything drawn to nominal sizes which- dont exist in the real world of construction. They know 'diddly squat' about what goes on in real-time build.
I'll tell you this (do I sound like Ian Paisley?)-- my view of architects is- 'little people in little boxes'. Know it all- but know nothing that any sensible run of the mill builder does not already know.
Regarding the scaffold- it is ok if you are playing with OPM (other peoples money) when designing a building and costing in everything that conforms to 'pleasing everyone catagory- and covering your own back' situation. Life isn't like that though F C sake !!.
Even have to have building regs to fit replacement windows these days.
Know why ? because it keeps 'certain people' in a cushy little job with big bucks .
The country has gone crazy . :evil:

I agree with you about the architects and have worked with some right ones although I suppose I'd better not name any.Even some clients wanted to work without one but the firm I was with for a good few years wouldn't work without one.

Sponsored Links
I agree too about the architects. We are doing a job at the moment designed by a consultant. It's like an architect but worse :rolleyes:

As for scaffolding, I have to disagree with you. I know having proper scaffolding installed is expensive, but I don't think it's so much arse covering or job protection on the part of the main contractors insisting that it is used.

I know people love to bleat on about 'health and safety gone mad' but you have to remember, the last thing they want is for any of the lads on site to be injured, or even killed, and if scaffolding is the way to minimise the risk then scaffolding it is. It is there for one reason, and that is so you get to go back home to your family at the end of the working day.

As for scaffolding, I have to disagree with you. I know having proper scaffolding installed is expensive, but I don't think it's so much a**e covering or job protection on the part of the main contractors insisting that it is used.

I know people love to bleat on about 'health and safety gone mad' but you have to remember, the last thing they want is for any of the lads on site to be injured, or even killed, and if scaffolding is the way to minimise the risk then scaffolding it is. It is there for one reason, and that is so you get to go back home to your family at the end of the working day.

I fully agree.
And, based on the OPs comments so far, diy or not, i personally think he needs to look carefully at the issue of scaffolding/towers.
It would do him no harm to get on a PASMA course. In fact, based on his lack of knowledge on the subject, i'd say it's a necessity.

These were a great scaffolding... All timber.. You can knock one of these up in a few hours. :D
If it wasn't for foolish tradesmen taking a step back to admire their work they would be still in use today.. :LOL: :LOL:
crutchesscaffolding.png

great thanks for the advice gents.

Phew Peterperfeection I only just managed to type this because my mouse is so heavy, I think I'll go and lie down for a while before I type again.

Cheers.

These were a great scaffolding... All timber.. You can knock one of these up in a few hours. :D
If it wasn't for foolish tradesmen taking a step back to admire their work they would be still in use today.. :LOL: :LOL:

I went to Hong Kong a few years ago where wooden and bamboo scaffolding was still very much in evidence , it just looks strange to see modern buildings serviced by something that wouldn't look out of place a thousand years ago.. We were told that when a cyclone had hit the city many modern steel scaffolds had sucummbed and fell but these timber ones were untouched.

I went to Hong Kong a few years ago where wooden and bamboo scaffolding was still very much in evidence , it just looks strange to see modern buildings serviced by something that wouldn't look out of place a thousand years ago.. We were told that when a cyclone had hit the city many modern steel scaffolds had sucummbed and fell but these timber ones were untouched.
And don't forget the plastic rafia they are tied together with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back