Buying a new sofa + chairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never bought one before, but really want recommendations on where to shop. I want something that'll last, so don't mind paying about £1000-£1500 or more, especially if there's interest free credit to take the strain off.

Not sure what I want, i.e. 3 seats, and 2x1 seaters, so will look around first.

Where is good to buy from, and has a good range to view?

Open also to leather, fabric, etc... but most important is comfort and something that lasts.

We don't have children (no plans to either!), and it's only me and GF here, so not massively high/heavy use.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Sponsored Links
John Lewis
John Lewis
John Lewis
John Lewis
John Lewis
John Lewis

:mrgreen:

Remember interest free credit just means they inflated the price to cover the credit cost , you can bargain with just about an shop, ask to speak to manager especially if paying cash or DD.
Bought a suite from furniture land about 12 years and still looks like new.It came with a stain resistant treatment , seems to have worked well no stains and stood up well to grandchildren and foster kids.

Sponsored Links
Try recliners...you won't go back. Get the ones which also support the back of your thighs, not just a plinth for the back of your shins. Skip the electric recliners tho, they're slow to move so are a pain if you want to get up quick.

With leather you don't have to remove all the covers and wash them. You can also pour a whole curry over one and see no sign of it after a few minutes with a cloth. On the other hand they can be freezing initially on a cold morning when you've only got your shorts on and no tee shirt.

Beware some "leather" sofas only have leather on the main bits, others also have leather backing/sides etc.

When trying out the seating position also try sitting without your shoes on. We bought a nice high one (easier to get in and out of) but the OH's feet don't touch the floor...a bit like a kid would sit, with feet dangling. She had heels on in the shop, we never thought about it at the time.

With some sofas the backs, or even the bases, can be swapped around, so you can rotate the one nobody sits on cos you can't see the telly from it.

Wed found Reid furniture had a fair selection, and the quality seemed a bit better than some others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back