Recommended Budget Power Tools Thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you bought a "budget brand" or cheap power tool that's really performed above and beyond it price point and would be a worthy recommendation?

I tend to build my tool set by buying one decent item every now and then and spreading cost through the year, so if I need a mitre saw then I'll try and get a good mid-range mainstay brand unit or something good that'll last....

But sometimes you see some tool for half the price from a recognised budget brand or even some company you've never heard of and wonder if it would do a job for you until you have the coveted one you really want. Or this is how I am anyway.

So any recommendations, stick 'em in here please.

Sponsored Links
Note - just a DIYer , so NOT trade use
Purchased a load of hand tools , at markets , in the £1 box, including socket sets, small socket sets.
1 really good tool, i use frequently , in fact needed this morning
workshop on cloth case, is a small screwdriver, cutters and pliers set , i purchased for a £1
  • 3 flat screwdrivers,
  • 3 posidrive screwdrivers ,
  • Normal pliers,
  • longnose pliers,
  • cutters
A lot of hand tools from Lidl centre isle before covid, Quick release clamps , wrench , dowl jigs,

The only power tool, thats not a branded make - Bosch , Dewalt are my main goto brands
Are the Screwfix titan type brands, - Hedge trimmers , 1st one broke on first use, replaced and its lasted 4 years - cutting lots of hedges twice a year, so get a lot of use for a domistic garden.

I did get a bench grinder from Lidl and it was well off balance , so returned for a refund.
But Peter Millard on youtube , often reviews , screwfix/Aldi/Lidl power tools

I'm the other way round - I'm a chippie with a very comprehensive trade toolkit (having spent decades building it up). Despite that I still ended up buying a little corded drill/driver from Lidl a few years back (a Parkside PNS 300 A1) so I'd always have a drill/driver at home. It's been very useful for little DIY tasks like putting up shelves, assembling flat pack, etc. It only has a 300 watt motor, but it is 2-speed variable (0~400/0~2900rpm with reverse), has 22 torque settings for screwdriving, a percussion hammer setting (which I haven't used) and the 10mm chuck comes off to reveal a 1/4in hex magnetic bit holder. OK, it's a bit gutless for drilling hard concrete or big holes in thick steel, but is no worse than many DIY drills were in the 60s, 70s and 80s (many of the famous Black & Decker drills were only 275 to 350 watts back in the day), and other than being slightly limited capacity it's been an excellent little tool for smaller jobs around the house - and all for for just £20 (I think). In comparison the Makita combi and impact drivers in the photo below weighed in at about £140 each when bought (plus £70 for each battery and £50 for the dual charger). As a starter tool it has a lot going for it, especially the price, and no batteries to die on you and need replacing in the future, if it lasts that long. TBH I don't normally rate DIY tools (trade bias?) but this one's "a keeper"

Parkside PNS300 A1 and Makita DTD171 with DHP481.jpg

Just checked - these drills run £33 to £36 on eBay today, £43 on Amazon. Slightly cack-handed review here

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back