'Professional' branded power tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,
looking for a new double-bevel sliding mitre saw to replace my 7 year old Macallister (from B&Q), as the guard sticks and i now have 4 deep stitches in the back of my hand after a mishap on saturday.

Budget of around £200

Came across this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professio...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item1c2d98bc27

Obviously its a reasonable price, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand called 'Professional'?

Before some of you slate the B&Q brand Macallister, let me say that i've had it 7 years, its been really good. When it started to crap-out i changed the blade for a bosch and it renewed it to good effect.

However due to the sticky guard issue and that i've broken the dust catcher too many times to repair any more, i'm thinking of buying a new one.

So, any thoughts on the brand mentioned? or other apparently similar brands in that price range?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The ones that tilt either way are usually above that budget. Are you sure you can't refurb the one you've got?

The ones that tilt either way are usually above that budget. Are you sure you can't refurb the one you've got?

Joe,
having fallen foul to it's bite.....i'm not sure i want to now.

When i last looked at why the guard was sticking i just couldn't figure out where and why it was catching. I felt like i'd checked everything.

A double bevel would be much easier for me when mitreing skirting, arcs and kitchen plinths though

sounds like your 1 needs a bloody good clean and check over,you may be able to do this yourself with a brush/hoover etc.
dont know your particular 1 but my old elu has been taken apart a few times and given a check up and brush out a few times.

Sponsored Links
sounds like your 1 needs a bloody good clean and check over,you may be able to do this yourself with a brush/hoover etc.
dont know your particular 1 but my old elu has been taken apart a few times and given a check up and brush out a few times.

Yeah, quite possibly. I usually keep it clean with an air duster to blast away the sawdust.

Eh yes it is, double compound or two bevelled as you put it, that's why I posted it.
The Makita brand is very well made, you can always get spares for them as well...pinenot :)

Eh yes it is, double compound or two bevelled as you put it, that's why I posted it.
The Makita brand is very well made, you can always get spares for them as well...pinenot :)

Nope:

MAKITA MLS100 255mm Compound Mitre Saw 240V - Makita MLS100 Compound Mitre Saw fitted with a powerful 1500w motor for improved performance, compound pivoting arm - This mitre compound saw is Bevel cuts up to 45 Degree to the left mitre cuts 0-45 Degree left and 0-52 Degree right - Positive stops at 9 settings; 15 Degree, 22.5 Degree, 30 Degree, 45 Degree, right or left and 0 Degree (90 Degree cuts) - Precision machined aluminum base ensures accurate cuts, performs compound cutting operations - Shaft lock for easy blade changes, includes 255mm 40 tooth carbide tipped blade MAKITA MLS100 255mm Compound Mitre Saw comes with : - Blade - Dust bag - Holders - Triangular rule

You can even see on the picture that it only bevels one way.

You really don't need one that tilts left and right - just turn the workpiece around! My Elektra used to go both ways (fnarr) but my Bosch now doesn't, and its not been a problem.

It's not totally about needs.....i want one. :mrgreen:

But seriously, trying to bevel some wood that is profiled on one side/edge is a ball-ache to have to turn around and butt the profiled egde up with the fence to make a reverse cut.

Much easier with a double-bevelled saw.

At £200 quid the saw in the OP is definately not a genuine makita.

It's not totally about needs.....i want one. :mrgreen:
And for £200 you'll get exactly what you pay for. If the proper professional brands like Makita, deWalt, Bosch, Metabo, Hitachi, etc are asking £500 and upwards at discounted street prices for a 10in SCMS then exactly how good will a £200 saw from a no-name Chinese maker actually be? If you think about it maybe that's why you are getting no recommendations here.

If you are dead set on a double bevel compound mitre saw, then it may be worth at least looking at established names in the market such as Einhell or GMC where at least you can find some reviews (BTW neither of those are endorsements - I use a Makita LS1013)

I have indeed looked at Einhell and GMC. they do double-bevels in the same price bracket too.
Actually my next question was going to be "what about Einhell and GMC" oddly enough.....weird that, lol.

GMC look like MacAllister (B&Q).

Would be happy to hear opinions on these 2 brands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back