Sliding mitre saw

Bells and whistles seem to be in short supply on DeWalt SMS’s though. E.G. how much could soft start and trench cut add to production costs on their £220 quid models?
How much do you actually need a soft start on a mitre saw, though? If you think about it, it's just something else to go wrong

my Dewalt SMS - was made in italy

No under where the parts may of come from or if just assembled in Italy
deWalt Italy was set up by B&D in the 1960s. They also bought a power tool company called Star in the late 1970s, so they certainly had manufacturing capacity there at one time. From about 1995 or so until 2008 they used to have most of their routers in Europe made by Fellisati in Italy, but after Fellisati were bought by Interskol (Russian) most router production was shifted to Perles in Slovenia. Even Elu (the predecessor to the modern deWalt) had most of their routers made in Switzerland by Scintilla - probably best known these days as the world's biggest jigsaw blade makers - but maybe less known is the fact that they designed the world's first jigsaw, and that from the 1960s onwards they were acquired piecemeal by Robert Bosch. All still better designed and made than a no-namer from China IMHO

I dont have trench cut on the machine
I have made up two double door framed this week - the saw I was using has no trenching facility, but I rarely use it as most frames I deal with come ready made and ready primed. If you need to trench it can be done roughly on a non- trench saw then just cleaned up with a chisel, or you can use a router, or you can use a cordless saw and a speed square, or you can hand saw...

Unless you do a lot of door frames, casings or linings it really isn't a deal breaker

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If you're looking to go cordless keep an eye on eBay as Screwfix were selling the trend ones for 185 and apparently there was alot of bulk buying so they normally pop up
Plus not a bad little saw

Attachments

• IMG-20220929-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220929-WA0002.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 40
Thanks ETAF & gonch69.
JobAndKnock yeah guess so, maybe I’m just mentally thinking of my circular saw which is hard start, but a mitre saw is not hand-held so doesn’t need soft start.
(I’m not an engineer but going from stationary to 5000 rpm in a nothingth of a second just doesn’t feel right to me -:) . Though as you say, one more thing to go wrong! )
Regards from Terry

Sponsored Links
I have the makita ls1013, it's over ten years and is used for occasional diy jobs. When I took on a bigger job (adding struts and collars to support roof purlins) it paid for itself in ways not foreseen when purchased. Two examples - cutting mitres in 3" treated timber where millimetre accuracy was important (fitting support between underside of purlin and central wall plate), and also where tiny amounts needed to be shaved off. It acted literally as a chisel where tiny amounts of wood needed removing to create the best possible fit, and therefore load transfer, between timbers. The cheaper sms' saws are not, I believe, designed or intended for such accuracy. It is the sign of a good tool that it can do things over and beyond what it is designed, expected, or intended to do, and that is what you pay for even though you may not realise it at the time.

Blup.

(I’m not an engineer but going from stationary to 5000 rpm in a nothingth of a second just doesn’t feel right to me -:) . Though as you say, one more thing to go wrong! )
its a fraction off the load off cutting some 200 year old oak
it spins up quickly as there is no load

Never got why people use mitre saws for cutting big timber if you can't do it by hand or with a skill saw don't bother had someone get up on a roof with one once told him to put back in his van and go home

Ah thanks to all.
Putting this on back burner for now ;)
Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back