Sliding mitre saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps any advice/experiences with sliding mitre saws please? (I’ve looked through forum but some discussions are from a while ago.) Got a Pioneer brand mitre saw (not sliding) that cost me about £17 17 years ago and thinking of moving up. Not to DeWalt 600-800 £s (though they do one at around £200). Thinking £200-300 area. Outside that price B&Q have a Macallister at £89, could be a cheap and cheerful option? In a crowded field, Evolution are leading by a nose in my thinking …. Thanks if you can offer advice.
Regards from Terry.

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine got a 216mm deWalt from Toolstation recently for £149. Maybe they were changing stock lines and it was surplus. Still a bargain and better quality than any of the Chinese models

and thinking of moving up
Is this because you need to cut wider pieces ?
Only a DIYer

What sort of Height & width will you be cutting

Screwfix have a refurb mitre saw
No idea what the refurb is like
have a read here

Refurbished

ae235

video

REFURB DEWALT DWS773-GB 216MM ELECTRIC SINGLE-BEVEL SLIDING COMPOUND MITRE SAW 240V (563PT)​

Normal price
video

DEWALT DWS773-GB 216MM ELECTRIC SINGLE-BEVEL SLIDING COMPOUND MITRE SAW 240V (9008J​

But the evolution is cheaoer

My son in law has the more expensive evolution and it’s great for diy

Machine mart often has deals

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks ETAF, I’ll have a look at refurbs.
Yeah I’m looking for possibly wider cuts.
Also maybe materials other than wood.
Just trying to future-proof it really.
You can cut a bit wider by flipping the work over but if it’s not a straight cross cut or if the other side of the work isn’t parallel to the 1st side it becomes a mess about. Just done some pieces like that and thought wouldn’t it be great if I didn’t have to finish cuts with the hand saw!
Regards from Terry.

Yeah I’m looking for possibly wider cuts.
That may decide on the size of SMS you want need - worth looking at the specs on the MAX size
Also maybe materials other than wood.
I think the evolution blad is supposed to be multi-material , my son in law has cut wood, metal and plastic with the blade - But also has some saxtonblades blades as well - as the blad is the same as hes table saw - same maker

I looked a while back, ended up with a Sheppach on offer from B&Q, been pretty good for my purposes. I would say that it was useful to try a few out and get a feel for them, some manufacturers are definitely more intuitive to use than others.

Note the sliding saws need quite a bit of space and I ended up getting a stand that was on offer too.

Yep, i think that was the model - although when he purchased was on a deal, at £277 I think and included a stand with wheels - but that was a couple of years ago
powertoolworld or ITS
£299 at the moment with stand

Ah thanks Freddie. Not sure how I could try them out. Even the ones on display in shops sometimes aren’t fully assembled or are a bit scruffy so hard to tell. I could try asking the blokes on the building site next door where a house is being built what they would suggest. But they might be using high grade stuff. Also they might be getting fed up with me picking their brains about various things!

Well when I meant try them out I really meant take yourself off to a B&Q superstore as that's about the only place who seem to display them, you're right you can't literally test them, even then as you say they're a bit cramped so not great but I certainly discounted a few makes as I thought they were a bit awkward to use. YouTube has plenty of reviews too.

ETAF yes the deal I looked at you don’t get a stand but it’s double bevel and an additional wood blade, similar sort of thing
Terry

Had a look this morning - they no longer list them. A quick look gives the best price for the DWS774 as £189 at Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back