Trying to get rid of unwanted saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.
I'm a carpenter from dorset, I bought a Macallister (B&Q) 10" Sliding compound Mitre saw yesterday because I needed a deep cut for the cornice I was cutting.

My regular saw is a Dewalt, and I only needed the Macallister for this one job, so I need to sell it on as soon as possible.

It cost £120 yesterday, I made a dozen cuts, it's still in the box with all the stickers on it and everything with a full warranty. £75 for a quick sale.

Cheers

Lee :D

Sponsored Links
Why didn't you just hire one?

Try here

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Try taking it back to B&Q for a refund, make up some reason for returning it.

JAson

Sponsored Links
Hi There,
I'm a California living in the Czech Republic and need an affordable, but decent mitre saw. The main DIY store here has that same MacAllister saw for a pretty good price. Is it OK for basic work (i'm a hobbyist woodworker)...meaning can i trust it?
Thanks,
Sean

Hey.

Can't vouch for the macAlsiter saw, but I've got a couple of other tools by MacAlister and, IMO as a hobby joiner type, they punch higher than their price range.

If your looking for a budget compound mitre chop saw, for work where +/- a degree is ok, then I'd say it's worth the money.

Get a new, fine tooth blade tho for anything other than cutting firewood. The coarse blade these saws come with are brutal!

if they wont take it back, you could take it for a lovely drive in the country then let it off its lead and when its not looking drive away! problem solved!

Great. Thanks for the tip. i've read about the blade elsewhere too. I'll make sure and get a finer one. Thanks again! S

muzzles, sorry to hear about the problems with your saw, please return it with your receipt to our nearest store where we will offer you a refund or exchange in line with our returns policy,

yours sincerely

B&Q

In all seriousness just take it back and tell them you are not happy with the quality of it, as long as it doesn't look like you have dragged it around your worksite behind your van you shouldn't have a problem. If you still have the box you wil really impress them. Good luck.

I have always found when taking anything that is a bit "borderline" back to any retailer do it about 5 mins before they are due to shut. By this time of the day there is not much fight left in 'em :LOL: :LOL: and all they want to do is shut up shop and go home ;)

muzzles, sorry to hear about the problems with your saw, please return it with your receipt to our nearest store where we will offer you a refund or exchange in line with our returns policy,

yours sincerely

B&Q

In all seriousness just take it back and tell them you are not happy with the quality of it, as long as it doesn't look like you have dragged it around your worksite behind your van you shouldn't have a problem. If you still have the box you wil really impress them. Good luck.

I have always found when taking anything that is a bit "borderline" back to any retailer do it about 5 mins before they are due to shut. By this time of the day there is not much fight left in 'em :LOL: :LOL: and all they want to do is shut up shop and go home ;)

It almost certainly would have worked :LOL: but, by now, every B&Q outlet customer services desk in the country is aware of a wheeze which most dont have the guts to try! you've probably spoilt it for everyone now :cry:

You mean the people at B&Q can read :LOL: :LOL:
Aw come on, they aint that bad! I use the main shed near me at least once a week & they stock most of the main brands, are invariable cheaper than my local rip off B/merchants, they don’t surcharge me on any returns & take stuff back (or they used to!) without question even after 90 days; although you won’t get cash! Most of the staff are at least helpful, even if they don’t always get 100% correct; rather better than the stroppy, scowling, know it all gits who have been behind the sales counter at my local P***b C****e, & J*****s for at least 30 years!

To be fair there are some people at B&Q who know what they are talking about, these are the tradespeople who generally head up a section of the store, plumbers and sparks I have found to be most helpful when needed.
But there are a lot who would struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time. :rolleyes: These are best avoided at all costs.

Interesting experience with them a few days back, I had bought a tin of Thompsons roof seal to carry out a supposed minor repair to a flat roof, ended up I didn't need it after all so I took it back. I didn't have the receipt as I had just emptied my "bill box" from the van, but I am quite happy with the credit vouchers they issue. Well after the usual wait I get to the front of the queue and met dragon lady. "What's wrong with it" she asked "Nothing I just don't need it" she regarded the tin with great suspicion "That tin's been opened" (it clearly hadn't) and she produced a large pair of wallpaper scissors and proceeded to attack the lid :eek: Well I was amazed and tried to point out the contents were exceedingly black gooey etc, and any use of the product would be clearly evident on the tin, but no, she was like a woman possesed. I stood well back as I could see either the tin going over or the scissors slipping and dragon lady's life blood being spilt all over the counter. The lid was finally wrestled off the can and the contents inspected and it was confirmed that the contents were 100% complete. :rolleyes: Dragon lady then put the lid back on and proceeded to smash the heel of her hand on the sharp bits caused by the earlier scissor attack :eek: to close the lid. Incredibly she again escaped unscathed. "Are you putting that back on the shelf" I asked "Yeah" we then had a bit of a debate as to the suitability of the now mangled tin for resale.

I got my vouchers but blimey.

Was chatting to the woman on the returns desk at my local BnQ a while back - she said that she'd once had a tin of paint returned.... she was suspicious so opened it. Found it was full of Spaghetti. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back