Cutting Metal with a mitre saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a deWalt 708 compound Mitre saw and I need to (accurately) cut/mitre some square section steel tubing. The question I have is can I do this on the DeWalt with a suitable blade (can I even get a suitable blade) or is this impossible?

Cheers

A

Sponsored Links
i know you can get blades, but i would check with dewalt first rather than screw up a very expebsive machine. go to their american website as there is a very good support service on this and they will answer the question within two days. Their regional sites do not appear to have this facility.

Thermo

Agree with Thermo, though I doub't you can do it as metal cutting chop saws run at very low speed, and with very high torque, as well as a coolant flow.

I've just got a dw712 and the instructions say "do not cut ferrous materials,fibre cement or masonry."

Sponsored Links
Personally I would get a 9 inch grinder and the correct discs rather than risk ruining a nice saw. Or as an alternative would be a cheap bandsaw.

I've done quite a lot of fabrication with steel in the past and it is quite brutal unless the tools are up to it.

off course you can cut metal with the right blade
i think for that saw you will need a negative rake blade
triple chip tooth design
if you go to a good toolshop they will help

rather your 500 quid saw that says in the instructions dont do it than mine!

ivorbigun, I've obviously something wrong here, but the DW708 is built for wood and has a spindle speed and a blade diameter to give a tip speed of something. Now, my understanding is that wood can be cut at give or take a lot 500m/min (depending on type) whereas free cutting mild steel is just under 40m/min.

Where have I gone wrong?

sorry my mistake
you can cut alloy {alluminium} not steel etc with the blade i said
didnt read it proper sorry

Would not reccommend it, the forces required to cut metal are extremely high and requires both cutter and workpiece to be rigidly held. What's wrong with a good ol' hacksaw? ;)

Surely you'll not have the rigidity in the overall device to make, or sustain accurate cuts ? Hacksaw and file will be cheaper than a piece of flimsy machinery !! and in the metal cutting world the devices mentioned are chocolate fireplacey at best !!
P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back