Buying a property with no planning consent or certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm close to exchanging contracts on a property that appears to have no planning consent for an extension or any of the other major works carried out on it.

The major works are:

1. Extension (over 30 years ago)

2. New CU and wiring for kitchen, garden pond and garden summer house (last four years);

3. A double-glazed window in bathroom (within last four years);

4. Cold water feed into integral garage + tank (within last four years);

5. Removal of internal wall (within last four years);

Would it be a big problem for me in the future if the property did not have building control approval or certificates for the above?

Sponsored Links
The extension may not have required planning permission when it was constructed as it may have been permitted development. Bear in mind that the permitted development rights have changed quite a bit from 30 years ago so while it may not be classified as permitted development today, it may have been at the time it was built.

From my knowledge, The other items do not require planning permission, only building regs approval which is a diffrent thing (was the window you mentioned a replacement for an existing window or a new opening?).

We had a similar-ish scenario when buying. Our solicitor was saying something about getting an indemnity policy - along the lines of if corrective work is required then the policy pays for this. And getting the sellers to pay for this on our behalf.

We never bothered though - we only had an extension with no planning permission, and because it was more than 10yrs old the local planning department would do nothing. I verified this by phoning up the council and asking them myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back