buying and fitting a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If someone needed an new boiler, do any of you buy your own i.e. go to the shop yourself and then find a plumber to do it or do you ask a plumber to go out and buy the one he thinks you need. I am asking this because I have seen a cheap boiler from a discount online website and wondering whether you would save money as I have been quoted insane prices running into thousands to swap and supply a combi like for like and can't really afford it. I have looked on the website and found a boiler for under £400. I wonder how much a plumber would charge for just the swapping over the installation (in exactly the same place with no major additions). Another question - If there is anyone out there who has bought their own boiler, were many plumbers keen on giving you a quote, knowing that they probably wouldn't make as much profit as if they had supplied you the boiler themselves?

Sponsored Links
Think most gas fitters on here will tell you that they prefer to buy their own boilers, which on the whole they have experience with and know what's entailed in the fitting of it, which is more likely to make it time efficient. They can also quite often get a trade discount which you can't, and will split the difference between you, so everyone's a winner.

The other advantage of them supplying the boiler is that if there's any fault with it (it can and does happen), they will sort it out with the supplier instead of having to wait for you.

Finally, and most importantly, they will specify and install a boiler that satisfies your house's requirements. What you buy may well not be what is needed and may be over or under the required specification. The cheap boiler you have seen may be cheap for a very good reason :!:

...I have looked on the website and found a boiler for under £400. ...
Buy cheap, get cheap.
The only boilers I have seen over the past few years around that price are non-condensing boiler which are illegal to fit.
There are very few decent installers willing to install something they don't supply. I know exactly one, and he would charge far more than you would be willing to pay. That leaves the cowboys.
As mentioned above, IF you find someone willing to install a boiler you provide, any problems are yours; the supplier of the boiler (in this case yourself) is responsible for warrantee issues.

example. were doing a bathroom install at the moment,and the customer supplied the fittings.well the shower screen doesnt fit the tray.apparently the enclosure that was supplied, is wrong for that tray. and no longer available. we tried everything to help, going down to the shed, playing holy hell. but 2 weeks on and recieved an ex stock enclosure today, went to fit it.true and behold, major parts missing.the point of this rant is.basically now the shower tray has to be ripped out and a new one installed to fit the right enclosure.we will charge for this as we didnt supply the fittings.if we did we would have had this sorted at our cost.and they woud be now having a nice shower.

Sponsored Links
If someone needed an new boiler, money as I have been quoted insane prices running into thousands to swap and supply a combi like for like and can't really afford it. I have themselves?
Why do you need to replace your existing combi ?

whats the link for that boiler under 400 quid.if you think you will get a boiler swap for less than a grand and the job done properly.good luck

whats the link for that boiler under 400 quid.if you think you will get a boiler swap for less than a grand and the job done properly.good luck
Mr cheap heating dot com; 369 inc vat for se combi or disreputable reputation.
You know the one, the manager happily admits that se boilers are their number 1 seller, none of the customers speak English, rads, stats, valves, inhibitor and all the rest are the same brand: "no name"

You see some truly beautiful wheels around here.
Bright shiny polished chrome alloys, with bright shiny chrome fans on them that keep turning after they stop.
If only I could afford a set of those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back