Buying British

Status
Not open for further replies.
so a retired British plumber, or a redundant middle-aged car factory worker, mortgage paid off, no young family to support, is willing to work for the minimum wage?

Where are they then?

Not sure what your argument is. If he's retired, he's retired. Car factory workers aren't paid the minimum wage.

Why aren't you out picking fruit? Not like you have anything better to do?

If the cost of living is higher here, people in the UK will find it harder to do the same work for the same money compared to someone with a cheaper cost of living from abroad.

Sponsored Links
If the cost of living is higher here, people in the UK will find it harder to do the same work for the same money compared to someone with a cheaper cost of living from abroad.

you seem to think that British people don't do minimum-wage jobs, and aren't unemployed, and none of them get benefits.

That's interesting. You think that a local person, who already has a home here, speaks the language, has minimal travel costs, is in some way unable (or do you mean unwilling?) to fill one of the many jobs left vacant as unwelcome foreigners stop coming.

I wonder then why anti-foreigner campaigners like Farage are able to get so much support from anti-foreigner voters, when neither of them will do the work that the foreigners have been doing.

Sponsored Links
That's interesting. You think that a local person, who already has a home here, speaks the language, has minimal travel costs, is in some way unable (or do you mean unwilling?) to fill one of the many jobs left vacant as unwelcome foreigners stop coming.

You're getting better with these straw man arguments but they're still just that.

No where in that statement did I say they won't (unable or unwilling), I said it's harder for them. Two very different statements. The fact is up until now the jobs have been filled and so far there's nothing to suggest that they won't continue to be; only the presumption it would be unlikely due to the fall in the pound.

I wonder then why anti-foreigner campaigners like Farage are able to get so much support from anti-foreigner voters, when neither of them will do the work that the foreigners have been doing.

A total of 99% of seasonal workers on British farms come from Eastern Europe. Two-thirds of these come from Romania and Bulgaria.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44230865

Both have only been EU member states since 2007 yet fruit has been grown and picked for centuries. Someone must have been picking it before they came?

you seem to think that British people don't do minimum-wage jobs, and aren't unemployed, and none of them get benefits.

I quite clearly don't think that and this statement you made would only be accurate if you hadn't based it on either your straw man attempt or poor understanding of what I've said.

Last edited by a moderator:
redundant car workers aren't paid anything

That's to say there aren't skilled jobs available. If you have skilled labour available and skilled jobs to fill... Doesn't take a genius.

What's about the retired plumber john? Should he get his hands dirty too?

So these fruit picking jobs were predominantly filled by young foreign workers and not UK born workers - so what is the all the fuss?

Explain what you mean. Why does an unemployed UK person find themselves unable to take up paid employment?

Explain what you mean. Why does an unemployed UK person find themselves unable to take up paid employment?
Ooh Ooh Ooh...
(Hand up at the front of the class)

Because so called 'paid employment' (often on zero hours contract) won't pay the bills in the UK?

I've explained what I mean. I've no idea what makes you think that's the argument I've put forward.

Why would the work be any harder?

Taking semantics to the same degree of stretching a point as you do.

Context matters.

I didn't say the work would be any harder.

Let me guess, you're going to use the semantics cop out again?

Are you suggesting that EU workers are higher skilled, or harder workers than UK workers?

Does it really matter what I'm suggesting if you're going to resort to misrepresentation in order to try and score a point?

If you can't work out what I'm suggesting from what I've already said I really don't see the point in your joining in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back