buying combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,living in a house with just a hot water boiler at the moment,(plus wife and four kids)have had a couple of quotes for combi system and both
were in the £3500 mark.if i bought the system and rads myself and paid a plumber to fit it would this bring the cost down at all.I,ve priced up a condenser boiler and rads new and can get them for around £900 any advice welcome.......please!

Sponsored Links
like for like boiler/rads?

I only ask because I pay more for a boiler then that. (I prefer to service the boiler every 12 months, not change it :LOL: )

You have a choice of either opting for a combination boiler or a system which really meets your requirements.All new boilers ,by law,must be condensing.Combi boilers areo.k.,as long as you ensure that the flowrate for hot water is adequate for your needs.The normal rule applies,the more money that you pay for a product, the better it will be.My opinion is, being at present the Alpha, that with the largest output to hot water, is worth consideration.Also it is worth viewing the powermax range of products, which may be more suitable to your requirements

The normal rule applies,the more money that you pay for a product, the better it will be

Not always the case! Take an ideal mini HE and compare it with a biasi M96. No real difference except for the cost and the badge. Apparently theres a £10 difference when the boilers leave the same factory.

Sponsored Links
How do you know what size rads to get, what material to supply etc. What happens when what you supply does not work? Does the pulmber (hope he is CORGI registered) carry the can if the boiler does not work?

Why not take the easy route and get someone qualified, to supply and fit the system?

I have just done some minor work for a friend. He supplied a unit that has been a nightmare to instal. They supplied the unit so they are responsible for exchange and or broken bits. If I was required to instal a system supplied by a client, instal is what he gets. As long as my workmanship is in order, correction of malfunctions due to inappropriate material become chargeable. So does time wasting when required items are not available.

Speaking of that DP, I fitted a 'B&Q special' bathroom suite the other week (at the customers insistance), and the customer was upset that I charged for the time I was exchanging broken/wrong/crap parts, oh and having to make each joint up a few times because the fittings are crap didn't exactly speed the process up.

With the amount they had to pay me, I could have fitted a nice bathroom suite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back