Buying petrol brushcutter/strimmer. What CC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to buy a petrol strimmer/brushcutter tackle overgrown gardens.

I have had a look and engine sizes vary, say 26cc to 43cc. What size engine should I be looking for? Is bigger better?

Sponsored Links
If it is for professional use its almost impossible to look past the stihl equipment. Engine size isn't everything but you will need the extra power if you will be using the blade a lot.

Not really professional use. I manage a couple of rental properties (standard semis), and after a change of tenancy the garden usually needs clearing. Hence I prob will use it 4 times a year.

I am tempted by a (cheap) Silverline brushcutter/strimmer that comes with 3yr guarantee. Logic is, that it is cheaper to buy, than to hire 3 times.

For really over grown lawns i usually hire a flail mower as it will cut long grass very quickly and break up the clumps a bit. Strimming or using a brushcutter on a large area is just too slow.

any silverline product i have ever seen or heard about has been terrible. with one exception.... a string line. It performed very well.

Sponsored Links
For just strimming, 25cc or thereabouts is fine, but for brushcutting use go a little higher.
Many manufacturers are incorporating 'expandit' accessories so you can use one power plant with several attachments - which may be of interest to you. However if you do go down this route, go for the 'D' handle as the traditional cowhorn type is no good with attachments.
Silverline stuff? No need to unpack it - just drop it straight in the wheely bin :p
John :)

sorry to jump in. Dont wanna start a thread just for this... Posted in another thread to but thought id stick it hear too :D

could anyone out there tell me if this is worth the money?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ryobi-Petrol-...arden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item588e2a6c15

I could do with each part. I have a pretty big garden with cliffy bits etc so the hedge trimmer bit would be handy for reaching those bits... the brushcutter would be handy around the place...

I have a cheap one thats on its way out so fancy getting a good one thatll last me longer...

Anyone have this or any expert opinions? icon_smile.gif

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
sorry to jump in. Dont wanna start a thread just for this... Posted in another thread to but thought id stick it hear too :D

could anyone out there tell me if this is worth the money?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ryobi-Petrol-...arden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item588e2a6c15

I could do with each part. I have a pretty big garden with cliffy bits etc so the hedge trimmer bit would be handy for reaching those bits... the brushcutter would be handy around the place...

I have a cheap one thats on its way out so fancy getting a good one thatll last me longer...

Anyone have this or any expert opinions? icon_smile.gif

Can't help you with that but I love your name ClevelandSteamer :LOL:

Have you checked it out on urban dictionary :cool: :LOL: :cool: :LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back