Buying plasterboard - girlie question :-O

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after 30 sheets of 8 by 4 by 9.5mm and B&Q do it for about £5.30 in bulk. My local builders merchant (Jewson) want £6.60 odd a sheet and tell me they can't move on teh price. Is that true or am I being taken for a ride being a girl who's obviously not in teh trade.

It seems silly that B&Q work out cheapest for that quantity!

Sponsored Links
Your local builders merchant may only order 1000 boards a year, compared to the likes of B&Q who may order 100,000 boards a year group wide. The discount for such quantitys will be enourmous.

Just wondering why the 9.5mm boards though? and not thicker.

Sponsored Links
BTW, as its a girlie question you can get the boards in pink you know, not just the standard grey :LOL:

Avoid jewsons.

12.5mm is much better .... and essential if the joist spacings are more than 400mm

Oh - so 9.5mm is okay for ceiliongs, but not for walls...? I've been using it so far to box in an old fireplace hole, but I take it I need the 12mm stuff for future work. Okay - thanks :)

12.5 thickness plasterboard nowadays for ceilings. Much stronger job, and wont sag/warp over time, like thinner 9.5mm.

Roughcaster.

Look up CPD on the internet. Bargin basement prices in bristol. But you may have a local one near you...
A

If it is for a ceiling 8x4 sheets are very difficult to handle, they are bad enough for walls.

For a ceiling consider 6x3 sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back