Buying shares

B

Bodd

Who's a decent easy to use investment company I can buy shares with.

I'm no expert so would only want to invest small and spread across many companies.

I was doing this before I moved to Australia and did ok ish but forgot who the company was I dealt with.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a fund account, let someone with experience make your investment decisions for you. It'll take longer to build up any "profit" but more reliable.
There are numerous funds available with different sensitivities attached, e.g. high risk - high reward, and vice-versa, or sensitive to concerns, such as green, geographical or cultural sensitivities.

For a broker, you'll want internet access to your account.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean which stockbroker to use?

More than likely.

Before I had shares in Sainsburys Tesco JD weatherspoons and so on. I just invested a few hundred £ at at time on anything random thst I thought was worth doing.
Wasn't overly successful but I made money

I dont want anything complicated I just want to trust my own judgement, hence buy shares by small amounts and spread my bets for a better word.

Bodd. Try Trading 212. It’s a great real-time app. It gives you £50000.00 (not real(thank god, I’m £10000 down!!)) to buy & sell on all the world markets. You can drop to real money, any amount whenever you want. The beauty of it is, you can by part shares. Some companies are £400 a share but on there you can just buy £30’s worth.I highly recommend it & it’s a great place to practice 1st without any risk whatsoever.
It can get a bit addictive though, cheacking it all the time. The FTSE opens at 8am but Most of the others at 2.30pm.

I use https://www.ii.co.uk/

Bought some shares at start of Covid lockdown when businesses were struggling and share prices plummeted.
Shares rising again as they look forward to open up the retail/travel sectors again :)

so do I

it now costs me £9.99 a month, I have a stocks and shares ISA. They put the monthly payment towards any share dealing charges, so I find I never pay any. I reinvest the dividends at intervals when they reach a worthwhile amount. You can transfer previous years' cash ISAs in if you want.

The ISA means I have no tax to pay or to declare.

They also offer a self-select SIPP Pension scheme, you get a tax rebate into it at standard rate for whatever you contribute. I have one, It costs an additional £10 a month.

If you are an inexperienced or cautious investor, best advice is usually to buy a very low cost tracker fund. Almost no active fund managers beat the index long term. Of the few that do, you won't know who they are going to be until it's too late. Indices will not go up like a rocket, but neither will they fall like the stick. You can put aside a small percentage of "fun" money if you don't mind it going down the drain. If you self-manage a fair number of solid stocks, you will likely end up with a tracker-like portfolio of your own. If you go for adventurous or fashionable stocks then occasionally you will do much better, but usually you will do much worse.

Over the last 5 years or so my European investments have done much better than UK and US. IMO the Brexit catastrophe will continue to shackle UK growth for the foreseeable 10 years or so, though you may disagree. Ask Rees-Mogg.

I don't currently have a UK tracker in mind, but this European one seems quite good.
https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tearsheet/summary?s=VERX:LSE:GBP

Since Referendum Day it's gained over 36% plus dividends. The UK FTSE has gained nearly 2% over the same period. I can't think why.

Apart from the FTSE broke all world growth records for the 1st week of trading in a new year.
Brexit affect.
You are hilarious John.
Got any more jems?

yes

but one good week still leaves it less than 2% up in five years.

Growing after a catastrophic fall. A "dead cat bounce"

Pretty good, huh?

How much did you invest on the Monday of that week, and take out on the Friday?

how did you know in advance that was going to be the good week?
(you didn't)

Bodd

One of these lines shows my choice, and one shows Dangees.

Take your pick.

Screenshot_2021-03-07 Vanguard FTSE Developed Europe ex UK .png

Screenshot_2021-03-07 Vanguard FTSE Developed Europe ex UK .png

I’m not advising Bodd. I even stated that in my practice I’m 10000 down.
Could you show me where I said what my choice was ? If you can’t find it, please apologise, thanks.

You appeared to be singing the praises of the FTSE100 and attempting to contradict my statement that the European fund had done very much better.

Are you denying that now?

Your chart does show how much better we are suddenly since Brexit. Thanks for providing that information. :)

Sponsored Links
Back