Error made by investment company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have a stocks and shares ISA and until recently was under the impression that I have a small amount of money invested there. In April this year, I receive a statement from them confirming this which also agreed with the figures of my personal investment records which I keep at home.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I decided to use that money to make some improvements to our home just before Xmas. However, when I contacted the investment company they said that I do not have any money in that account and that I withdrew all the money earlier in the year !!

This naturally upset both of us because we were hoping to use that money to make the home improvements. I then contacted them again and requested they send a breakdown of the transactions leading to the date when I withdrew all the money. Upon receiving the records, I found out that I had withdrawn all the money in October 2015, and I also remembered the reason why I withdrew the funds at that time.

Can I take some sort of action against the investment company since I received the statement in April this year confirming that I did indeed have funds invested in there whereas their transaction records show I withdrew all the money in October 2015?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You want to sue (take action) them for sending you incorrect info? I doubt that you'll win much, if anything other than an apology. You've taken the money out and you forgot, the fact they sent you an incorrect statement is just an error on their behalf. At the end of the day you've already taken the money and it's not like they made a mistake that cost you anything. Sorry!

Incredible.
People want to sue (and blame someone) now because of their own failing memory!! Tell me this is a joke?

Must be a joke :LOL: or a wind up

You take your money out spend it , then u want to sue them for it Jeez

Let us know how u get on with the court case ?? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It's a long shot, and you'd make yourself look like an idiot for suggesting it, but you could send them a letter saying that just because you forgot you'd withdrawn the money, their incorrect statement gave you a false hope as to your financial position. You might get an apology and £50, but most likely, just the apology, but you've got no grounds to take it any further.

In the main, I'm with the others here though.

I really doubt that the statement is incorrect. Valuation and transaction statements and tax vouchers refer to previous years / accounting periods. Have a closer look at the dates.

Back