Buying Teak Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a retaining wall in my backyard with an integral bench seat in it.

I orignally planned to use slate as the bench material (to match the patio) but the boss now wants a hardwood bench.

Having expressed a preference for teak, I'm having trouble finding anyone that will sell me teak timber, as opposed to ready-made teak garden furniture.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Due to logging restrictions its hard to come by. You should be able to get Iroko easily enough, this is a similar oily wood that is ideal for external use.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I do not doubt you for one moment, but I notice it is not hard to buy ready made teak garden furniture so one wonders where all the teak is coming from in the first place unless it is shipped into the country ready made?

I'd heard of Iroko but thought I'd try sourcing some teak first...

I'm checking with local saw mills as we speak.

Thanks.

A lot of it is fast grown plantation teak from countries like Nigeria and its no where as good as Burmese teak.

Cedar is another timber to consider, a little softer than teak/iroko but not as unpleasant to work with.

Jason

Sponsored Links
I made this with Ipe, easily available.

n554176855_1895622_7005.jpg

Ionkontrol,

Nice work.

Here is my wall with integral bench:

I gave up with the teak idea bearing in mind I need 15ft lengths. I felt like a drug addict trying to get hold of it in such quantities...lots of "oooo-ing" and "ahhhh-ing" and "I'll phone my supplier and get back to you..."

I've gone for 4 planks of Iroko in 3" x 6" x 15'

Next question: How do I attach it to the blocks?

I was thinking of mounting some smaller battens on the supporting blocks and then nailing/screwing the Iroko into that.

Bearing in mind the design, I think I'm stuck with that although I'd prefer not to have to come through the top of the wood, thereby spoiling the uppermost face of the wood.

Anyone with any better ideas?

Thanks.

don't work with the iroko indoors if you can help it, Its not dangerous but some people take a nasty irritation or worse to it (not when in use, just when sanding planing turning etc)

Ionkontrol,
Next question: How do I attach it to the blocks?

I was thinking of mounting some smaller battens on the supporting blocks and then nailing/screwing the Iroko into that.

Bearing in mind the design, I think I'm stuck with that although I'd prefer not to have to come through the top of the wood, thereby spoiling the uppermost face of the wood.

Anyone with any better ideas?

Two thoughts.
1 prefabricate the benches upside down, screwing through the battens (from what would be underneath) into the main slats (so the screws don't protrude), and then turn them over and fix through the battens between the main slats. Use expanding polyurethane glue too, it survives well outdoors.
Or
Make a feature out of the fixings. Counterbore the fixing screws and plug the bores with ebony dowel - OK so ebony is a bit of a longshot but you could use any interesting colour, or even the same wood.

Make short dowel by mounting a thick washer (with the right diameter hole) onto a block of wood with a bigger hole in it - then cut short pegs of wood along the grain just larger than the washers hole - and hammer them through the washer. Tidy up the ends.

By the way - congratulations on not going for the teak. you just saved some rainforest for us all.

If the seat was removable, you would have loads of storage space underneath, by the looks of your bench build?

Maybe for pots, smaller gardening stuff, partially dismembered SWMBO..... :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back