Buying Toilet, But How Do I know It Will Fit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit a new toilet. We've found one we want to buy, but how do I know if it'll fit between the wall and the waste pipe? The diagram and measurements aren't clear to me, and I asked the suppliers but they said they need to contact China for an answer? Am I right in thinking that toilets are universal and I'd just need to buy the appropriate 'elbow-what's-it-called pipe' to fit? Our bathroom and spare toilet waste pipes are at different distances from the wall, hence my confusion.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Nope, certainly not universal, especially if it's from China.

Only way to be sure is to obtain the dimensions

You can extend (within small tolerances) the soil pipe height and depth with flexible fittings, but there are differences in spec.

Remember the cold water supply might need alteration, again flexible connectors can help.

Worst case scenario you can return the product under the distance selling regulations.

Blup

Ok thanks. The waste pipe starts 5cm from the wall, so I'm guessing there'll plenty of room for manoeuvre?

Sponsored Links
upload_2019-2-20_10-5-39.jpeg
This is the diagram. Soil pipe starts 5cm from wall. It looks as though it's ok but am left guessing by the lack of measurements at the back?

upload_2019-2-20_10-5-39.png

You need to measure the distance from your floor to the centreline of the soil pipe coming through the wall (if yours comes through the wall). If it's more than 180mm, you need to choose a different toilet

The measurement of 180mm from floor to centre of the outlet is important so is that the same as what you have now? After that then it is a case of cutting back pipes as required and using new fittings. You don`t say if the current arrangement exits down through the floor or horizontal through the back wall and my crystal ball isn`t working today. :)

You need to measure the distance from your floor to the centreline of the soil pipe coming through the wall (if yours comes through the wall). If it's more than 180mm, you need to choose a different toilet
Or source a plinth to suit.

Is the soil pipe horizontal, going through the wall?

Or vertical, going into the floor?

If it goes into the floor you MUST measure the distance from wall to centre point of pipe in floor.

Thanks for all the advice. Soil pipe comes up from floor. From wall to centre of the soil pipe is 10cm. Soil pipe is 10cm diameter and 9.5cm high.

Looks like there is sufficient space for the soil pipe to be fitted, but you might be left with a gap that needs filling between the back of the cistern and the wall

Blup

I suggest you pause before ordering your new WC.

You can get a pan with a spigot that points straight down and fits into the floor socket. Not many on the market now as the horizontal outlet is the norm.

It would be really helpful if you post a photo of your installation.

Here's an example, but in my case the centre of the socket in the floor was further from the wall. This one is a Twyfords E100. They make other models. Someone may know one to suit your room.

8358e11148whhoe11145whbowcfsccstandardroundr2jpg.ashx

Look for the abbreviation "BO" meaning "Bottom Outlet" which actually revers to the orientation of the pipe.

Last edited:
Although the dimension is missing, if the soil pipe is close to the wall and the drawing is even vaugely to scale it should be fine. Worst case use a swan neck:
Screenshot_20190220-172654.png

Looks like there is sufficient space for the soil pipe to be fitted, but you might be left with a gap that needs filling between the back of the cistern and the wall

Blup

Is it easy to make a false wall with plasterboard, if there's a gap to fill?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back