Toilet waste question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I have to replace my toilet. The waste pipe is in the floor, not through the wall and I'm told this may be a problem when buying a new close coupled toilet.
The distance from the wall to the edge of the waste is 110mm.
I have seen a toilet and when fixed to the wall, the distance from the wall to the edge of the waste (where the pan connector would go) is 145mm. I am told that a 'flexi-connector will be the most suitable type and that because a lot of the end of the connector fits over the part on the toilet, the flexibility will be more than enough. All sounds fine, but it was the guy in the shop who gave me this advice and just wanted to get a 2nd opinion, just in case I went ahead and bought the toilet only to find it wont connect to the waste properly.

Sorry to waffle on, just wanted to make sure I gave all the relevant info.

In summary:
Distance from the wall to the edge of the waste pipe (which is in the floor is 110mm.
Distance from the wall to part where pan connector fits is 145mm.

Basically, will this 'flexi connector' do the job or shall I look for a different toilet which has a bigger gap from the wall to the connector on the toilet?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
All depends on the pan.
Can't think of one which would be any good for you, and I've never known a flexy help.
One of these is usually best (rotate picture 90 degrees anticlockwise!)
12712.gif

Thanks for the quick reply ChrisR.

My only concern with that type of pan connector would be that when I fix the toilet to the wall, when the pan connector is fitted, it's not directly over the hole for the waste and runs into it at an angle then I won't get a good seal and will be back to where I started.
This is probably why I've been recommended a flexi-connector, but like I said, I'm a little worried that even though it's flexible, the bed of the pipe will be too much and the toilet should be further away from the wall.

Who knew replacing a toilet could be so much grief!?

I guess I was just hoping that someone would look at the measurements in the first post and just say "Yeah, that will bend into the waste hole no problem", or "Nope, because of the distance, the angle of the bend on the flexi pipe will be too sharp and the toilet wont flush properly.

Sponsored Links
im guessing the swan neck connector dosn;t go back in under neath itself far enough. A flexible might do it but not sure if it will restrict the flow. Could you box the toilet off the wall 35mm or so?

I might have to.
I think I'll commit to buying this toilet, put it in and see how it goes with a swan neck connector. Worse case scenario is to build the cistern out, like you said.

I reckon that from what you say, the swan neck won't fit. If it is on floor boards you cold always re-route the waste under the floor using connectors - or its a box on the wall.

Most waste pipes from coming from a floor are on ground floor and boxed in or in bungalows and covered in cement,so i doubt it can e moved. So its usually a case of putting a baton behind the cistern to achieve correct position. Dont use a flexi if you can aavoid it , it is just an expensive **** collector that will cause probs later.
If you box it in you can also hide the pipework usualy and make a nice tidy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back