Buying wood for a desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, need a bit of help and advice re. buying some wood.
I want to build 2 very simple desks using pre-made tressel legs, so essentially I just need to buy 2 pieces of wood cut down to a specific size. I've been trying to find places that do this in the London area, but the quotes I'm getting for 2 pieces of wood (70cm by 135cm each) are outrageous.

Can anyone recommend anywhere *cheap* to buy wood in the London area, or alternatively, outside of London (but willing to deliver)? I am happy to pay a reasonable price, but prices in London are stupid.

thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of 'wood' do you want?
If real wood, then you will be looking at getting a jointed piece that size and depending on the wood, it may be pricey. If however you are looking at laminate, conti board, mdf or similar, then it shouldn't cost much and you can usually buy and get it cut to size for a few quid at one of the big sheds like b&Q warehouse, or a timber merchants/builders merchants.

Hi everyone, need a bit of help and advice re. buying some wood.
I want to build 2 very simple desks using pre-made tressel legs, so essentially I just need to buy 2 pieces of wood cut down to a specific size. I've been trying to find places that do this in the London area, but the quotes I'm getting for 2 pieces of wood (70cm by 135cm each) are outrageous.

Can anyone recommend anywhere *cheap* to buy wood in the London area, or alternatively, outside of London (but willing to deliver)? I am happy to pay a reasonable price, but prices in London are stupid.

thanks
Could you be a bit more vague?

Sponsored Links
5 lengths of say 6x1"planed [144mm 21mm]will give you 720mm at around £20
then you could screw 3 or 4 2x1" planed batons along the length for another £5
so £50 for materials

what was the cost of the quotes you had and what materials where quoted [species type joining method etc]

Could you be a bit more patronising? Jeez.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone else. I was looking at real wood, something like walnut, or something similar to that. If too pricey, I don't mind laminate or mdf, as long as it can withstand general desk use in a design studio. I have a bogstandard office desk which is a laminate and it seems ok, but another desk in the studio is also a laminate and even a bit of masking tape pulls away the top layer, it's absoulte crap, so if i'm buying something like that, I'll need to ensure it's sturdy and durable.

go to Ikea - they sell cheap tables. Or buy two sheets of 18mm mdf, glue them together, and attach your legs. done.

It might be worth visiting some "salvage" yards and auction houses. It's amazing what some folk throw out

Could you be a bit more patronising? Jeez.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone else. I was looking at real wood, something like walnut, or something similar to that. If too pricey, I don't mind laminate or mdf, as long as it can withstand general desk use in a design studio. I have a bogstandard office desk which is a laminate and it seems ok, but another desk in the studio is also a laminate and even a bit of masking tape pulls away the top layer, it's absoulte crap, so if i'm buying something like that, I'll need to ensure it's sturdy and durable.

Design Studio , that explains a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back