Where to buy wood to build a box?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build some boxes.
Most 1m long and 30cm or 40cm in depth or height.

Where can I buy the wood from?
I've seen ads from Selco sometime ago £0.90 for 1m of decking wood.
That would be quite nice I think.
Or was I just imagining that price - seems super cheap even when you add VAT.

And what clamps would I need to buy to join while gluing?
I thought I'd ask for recommendations before looking at eBay or Amazon.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Guess you have never made a box before? You can't just glue decking together what are they for? will be very heavy made from decking.?

Guess you have never made a box before? You can't just glue decking together what are they for? will be very heavy made from decking.?
yep. complete newbie. :)
i've seen videos online where you line up planks, glue in between and clamp.
dont want to invest in a pocket jig thing to angle drill unless i have to.
+ i've looked at some old boxes we have from ikea and it it doesnt seem all that hard.
i just wanted to give i a go as a 2 hour project.
+ we need boxes of different dimensions around the house - and i cant find anywhere where they sell just a basic box - rough and unfinished look.

You will need to nail or screw to get a box that does not fall apart.

Sponsored Links
You will need to nail or screw to get a box that does not fall apart.

i wanted to make much bigger. 1m width the first one
1.5m width the second one! :)

the only thing i'm worried about is the best place to buy wood from?

need to know how and where it will be uses and load and likly use and abuse before anything can be discussed

Not worried about the structure? Glue works if you have something like dovetails, fingers, dowels or mortises and tenons - for butt joints it won't work and you'll need some form of mechanical fastening (screws or nails). Glues only work on properly dry timbers which aren't full of contaminants and where the joints are nice and flat (with no gaps because glue has no strength in a gap) - decking is not only too wet as a rule, but the surfaces are contaminated with treatment which can badly affect the ability of glues to form a decent bond and in any case they aren't planed (TBH they are mostly as rough as a bear's nether regions).

Maybe you need to consider how best to build the item before considering glue and clamps

OM2,
If you are wanting to eyeball the wood so you can consider what and how to make it, I would suggest looking up you local Wood supplier with Google,
If using a DIY stores then I would first suggest Wickes as I find they have a good prices and good selection and you can brouse and consider to your hearts content, and then B&Q more expensive and less good and then Homebase.
Note that a wood box will not be that cheap.
For a strong box I would be looking at 5.5mm thick plyboard screwed & glued onto a frame of squarish lengths of timber
https://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=plyboard
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Timber/Planed-Square-Edge-Timber/c/1000199?q=:topSellers:Width:28+mm&text=#
or
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/B.../1000202?q=:topSellers:Thickness:25+mm&text=#
SFK

Last edited:
One advantage of a diy shed is that you can get them to cut your sheets to make your own ikea style flatpack. But make sure you allow for overlaps and joins.

>> decking is not only too wet as a rule, but the surfaces are contaminated with treatment
>> which can badly affect the ability of glues to form a decent bond and in any case they aren't planed

really? scrap that one then. :)
happy with floorboards - or any other type of wood

i'm happy to just follow the way my ikea boxes are made. those have 10mm wood - made from planks joined.

what it's for...
ahh... well... first i wanted to make 2... just for using to store shoes and toys.
then i wanted a bigger one to cover up bins in a kitchen - so like have 2 halves, one half for general waste and the other for recycling.

the ikea one is pretty strong i would say. they dont sell anymore. i would rather just buy to be honest.
(but still want to give it a go making the bigger one.)

plywood would do the job - but i would have preferred a rusty look on the outside.

any other thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks.

Probably cheaper to buy a wooden box from one of those cheap home furnishing places like The Range or B&M home stores. They always seem to have that 'rustic' look stuff in.

Rustic? What about OSB on a frame made from 2 x 1in or 2 x 2in PSE softwood? At least OSB doesn't contain the questionable chemicals (at least if you have small kids) that can be found in (treated) decking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back