Buzzing RCD Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I've recently moved into a new home & in the spare room downstairs, which used to be the garage, there's a double pole rcd socket like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM4901.html

I've never used it before, but i pressed one of the buttons by mistake & it started buzzing. I tried the reset button & it wouldn't stop. I had to knock the electric off, take off the socket & cover the wires in insullation tape till i get it sorted: Two things i need advice on please:

1) Why would it buzz? Faulty socket maybe?

2) There was actually 2 sets of wires connected into the back of the socket, 2 off each live, earth & neutral. Is this normal?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like you pressed the trip/ off button but it has not tripped off properly
Maybe just has not been used or tested for some time or just faulty

Sometimes the cold and damp can affect the electronics within.

sounds like you pressed the trip/ off button but it has not tripped off properly
Maybe just has not been used or tested for some time or just faulty

Sometimes the cold and damp can affect the electronics within.

Thanks for the quick reply mate. I'll get a new one & replace it.

Any idea why there would be 2 sets of wires in the socket?

Any idea why there would be 2 sets of wires in the socket?

It could be on a ring circuit which is as it says, starts at the breaker and goes round a few sockets then returns to the breaker , thus two wires in each, when parted both wires are live and all sockets will still work

or a radial which is one in and one out to the next socket,
with this other sockets stop when wires are apart , still two wires though.
If they were joined before ensure you rejoin them again

Sponsored Links
1) Why would it buzz? Faulty socket maybe?
Yeah, sounds like the RCD socket is buggered, you should chuck it in the dustbin and replace it, and for future reference, just taping up the conductors isn't sufficent, a set of terminal blocks should be used as a minimum (and thats when there are only competant/or instructed persons around), where there is a possibility of randomers, kids, animals etc, a blank plate ought to be fitted as well

And that brings us onto the next point...

2) There was actually 2 sets of wires connected into the back of the socket, 2 off each live, earth & neutral. Is this normal?

Its common for socket outlets in this country to wired on whats called a ring final circuit (RFC), a cable goes from the distrubution board to the first socket outlet, and then to the second, and then to the third, and when it gets to the last one, then loops back to the distribution board to form a 'ring'; current is shared through both sides of this ring, and its important that the ring doesn't become broken at any point because if it does everything will still work, but some cables will be at risk from overloading!, I fear that you have caused such a situation in your removal of this socket outlet :(

(if the sockets were on whats called a radial circuit... thats where it goes out to the furthest point but doesn't return, then a break in the circuit would merely result in one or more socket outlets not working)

Its common for socket outlets in this country to wired on whats called a ring final circuit (RFC), a cable goes from the distrubution board to the first socket outlet, and then to the second, and then to the third, and when it gets to the last one, then loops back to the distribution board to form a 'ring'; current is shared through both sides of this ring, and its important that the ring doesn't become broken at any point because if it does everything will still work, but some cables will be at risk from overloading!, I fear that you have caused such a situation in your removal of this socket outlet :(

(if the sockets were on whats called a radial circuit... thats where it goes out to the furthest point but doesn't return, then a break in the circuit would merely result in one or more socket outlets not working)

Heck, now i'm worried. Will i be safe if i don't use anything until tomrrow evening when i get a new socket? Well apart from leaving the fridge on making a cuppa in the morning?

Much appreciated for all the quick responses :)

I've just bought a normal double socket to replace this. One thing though, i've bought a single pole, do i need a double pole if i've 2 sets of wires connecting to it, or does that not matter?

Thanks all

I've just bought a normal double socket to replace this. One thing though, i've bought a single pole, do i need a double pole if i've 2 sets of wires connecting to it, or does that not matter?

Thanks all

No, single pole just mains the switch only breaks the line, not the neutral as well :)

But do check that any socket that is likely to supply portable equipment in the garden is RCD protected, and if not, buy one of those RCD adapters for use with any such use short term, and look into having an electricial periodic inspect + test carried out to identify anything that doesn't meet the current standards (such as insuffient RCD protection)

No, single pole just mains the switch only breaks the line, not the neutral as well :)

But do check that any socket that is likely to supply portable equipment in the garden is RCD protected, and if not, buy one of those RCD adapters for use with any such use short term, and look into having an electricial periodic inspect + test carried out to identify anything that doesn't meet the current standards (such as insuffient RCD protection)

Adam,

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated. Ill go ahead & fit this socket then.

I think i will get some testing done. I've a few light switches that don't really do anything - like 2 in a bedroom. 1 works & the other doesn't.

Cheers mate :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back