Can I improve this socket near a sink? (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just reading through some other threads has made me consider the socket in a flat I rent out. One of the sockets is very close to the kitchen sink (see pic). It has a microwave plugged into it (no kettle). Sorry best pic I have at the moment as wasn't taken specifically for this discussion.

It has been like this for years. Am I allowed (since it's in a kitchen area) to change the socket for one with an integrated RCD as below? It is an open-plan kitchen / living room.

Would it make it any safer? :?:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM4901.html

[/b]

Sponsored Links
You could change it, but this would achieve nothing. The location is the problem.

Those sockets should have an RCD in the consumer unit anyway.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks. Found another pic: Could I have it moved to under the counter shown with a red cross? (in the wall).

There is no reason why you can't install a socket in that location.
But ideally it would be located above worktop height for your microwave, I know the tiles are the problem.

Blank the socket off (with a visble blanking plate) and extend round the corner to behind the microwave in minitrunking.

it has a single gang socket right behind the machine. I can't remember if it comes down from the double socket shown or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back