Strange Buzzing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Not sure if this is DIY related but hopefully someone can help.

Last night I noticed a strange buzzing from the TV. I initially put it down to being an old tv, but checked nothing was loose.

Then this morning I noticed same buzzing from my two computers. I've tried both in different sockets upstairs and downstairs and still the same.

The strange thing is the pitch and frequency changes as if its some kind of interference and the buzzing on the TV matches the buzz on the computers exactly (I placed them side by side so I could hear one in each ear).

I'm at complete loss as to what has caused this, as yesterday morning none of the appliances buzzed.

Edit - using an am radio as a detector I've eliminated each circuit in the house e.g plugging it in upstairs with all circuits off except upstairs plugs, and the same for downstairs. Does this clear the house or could it still be the fuse panel ?

Sponsored Links
Does the buzzing also exist at the fuse board?
Does the buzzing occur when you have say kettle, hoover, toaster plugged only?
It maybe a case that you have loose connection on the circuit, first place to go is the fuse board, isolate the installation before removing covers and prove dead once covers are off.
Then check for loose connections at Live, Neutral and Earth of circuit, also check the fuse/mcb is securely fitted.
See if that resolves problem, if not, then check connection at all outlets of circuit, whilst isolated.

Thanks,

Nothing audible at the fuse box.

I turned all circuits off except downstairs plugs, unplugged everything and tested with computer - buzzed.

Repeated with upstairs plugs (with downstairs off) buzzed.

Sponsored Links
I would be checking for loose connections and possibly protective device failure. What type of devices are on the board, do any feel warm?

So am I right in thinking the buzzing is on speakers (TV, PC ) rather than noise froma light, socket etc?

If so then something external such as wifi equipment, cb radio, phone ring signal might be doing it.

Have you added in anything new electrically recently?

I'd turn off all the fuses at the board aside the TV. On the TV socket circuit unplug everything aside the TV and see if the noise is still there.

I'd then run the TV via an extension reel to another socket circuit, turn that circuit on and the rest off.

If the same noise is still present, then it not a particular circuit it's either on the main supply or an external frequency source such as wifi, radio, dect.
It could easily be something at the neighbours if you are in a semi or a terrace.

Thanks all.

I think I've cracked it...

There's a street light flickering on and off outside and the buzz matches the flicker !

Do you notice any flickering of energy saving lamps or fluorescent tubes?

There should be a phone number on the outside light for faults.
Call them and report it as a fault. There may be a problem with the phase that supplies your house and the street light.

My apologies if this is considered off-topic, which I suppose it is, but how do electricity suppliers charge local councils for the electricity used in street lighting?

I can't imagine that each street light, or even several on the same circuit, contain the equivalent of an electricity meter.

The experts on here are probably laughing at me for being a bit thick, which I suppose I am!

They are charged per column whether it is working or not. The supply company knows how many columns the council has and how much each lamp type and size consumes on average per quarter or per year depending on how they are billed (which I don't know)

Thanks DP. That makes sense.

Presumably, when councils turn off certain lamps (or complete streets) to save money, they negotiate a new rate with the supplier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back