buzzing noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my son has just moved into a new home and the fuse board makes a strange buzzing noise, the house is 7 tears old and the board has circuit breakers, if I turn off the upstairs lights the buzzing stops, any ideas ???

Sponsored Links
Is there a bell transformer on or adjacent to the CU?

If not traceable to a component, try changing the upstairs lighting MCB.

Hi all.

I have the same problem, only noticed today but could have been like this for a while. The MCB that handles the sockets (marked B32) makes a buzzing sound whenever the microwave or kettle is on (high wattage stuff I presume). It's louder when both are on.

Very old flat, new(ish) wiring and new consumer unit. Wiring all checked approx 6 months ago when we got an electrician out to fix dated meter tails.

Is changing an MCB a diy thing or do I need a sparky? Approximately how much do these things cost?

like for like replacements are not notifiable, but you have to be aware that the incoming tails to the CU will still be live when its mainswitch is off.

And if you pay more than £8 for an MCB, you've been ripped off ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Do you think the buzzing indicates a problem with the individual MCB then?

Anyone know a reliable sparky in Glasgow? Like I said, this might have been going on since I moved in (14 months ago) but now I'm scared there's going to be a fire...

Electrician coming round tomorrow - will let you know how I get on. Bet you can't wait... ;)

Dont know about the bell, but when I said it stops when I turn the lights off I meant it stops when I turn off the MCB for the upstairs lighting circuit, does this mean its more likely to be that ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back