Buzzing Shaver socket

Shaver socket transformers tend to have poor regulation. If your toothbrush is marked 100 to 250v or similar plug it in to the 110v side. There will be less strain on it that way.

But the charge base will not be
marked 100 to 250v
If it is a UK device it will be marked as 220-240VAC.
It is a simple induction coil inside the base, no fancy electronics, nothing. Its like a transformer.
Look it up on Wikipedia, if you dont understand the concept. ;)

If you plug a regular UK (eg Braun) toothbrush into the 110v output of a shaver point then you are not going to charge that toothbrush up, not in a month of Sundays.

Sponsored Links
My Braun ( made in Germany ) is labelled 220 - 240 ac and the same model does NOT charge in a US 110 volt socket.

You may find the time to charge is dependent on the voltage in some of the cheap end far eastern products sold as suitable for 110 - 240 volt supply.

Sponsored Links
I tried to fit the Crabtree sockets but found that they were too deep for the box. So, with some trepidation, I bought some more MK ones. The first thing that I noticed was that they now have a toothbrush icon on the front under the electric shaver face.
The one in the bathroom is lovely and quiet. Unfortunately, the cowboy who fitted it only pushed a 25mm long 3,5mm screw into the lower mounting hole. Off to screwfix tomorrow to buy some 40mm and 50mm ones.
The one in the en suite still hums (50Hz) when the toothbrush is plugged in, though not as loudly as before.

So the installation in the en suite makes more noise than the bathromm with both the 10 year old MK sockets and the new ones. The wiring looks fine.

Bearing in mind that it will only ever be on when the light is on, is it safe? And why is it doing this?

They at 10 year old MK shaver sockets.
Replace the socket before it overheats and cracks across the front. A common problem with that brand of shaver socket.

Thanks. Those are what we have. We have just been out and bought two Crabtree ones to replace them. Hopefully, these are better!!

I have just put the quiet socket from the bathroom into the en-suite and it is humming just like the other one did!
However, if you press the front plate, the noise reduces!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back