Shaver socket - should it buzz ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps

My wife and I had our ensuite bathroom re done recently and they fitted a new chrome shaver socket to go with the new fittings, it replaced an old plastic one.

The first one made a buzzing noise when we plugged a shaver into it so they came and replaced it - the replacement also buzzes although less noisily - surely this is not normal, are we talking about a faulty batch here or do all chrome shaver sockets buzz like this ??!!

Thanks for the advice.

Andy C

Sponsored Links
fitted on tile perhaps?

with plastic ones there is a bit of give in the plate, not so with a metal one, it may even amplify the transformer hum somewhat..

if it bothers you, get them to fit a pull cord in the corner to turn it off..

or try a bead of silicone round the back of the faceplate to act as a gasket.. should dampen it a bit..

Thanks ColJack

It's fitted to a plastered wall as only part of the room is tiled.

Dont fancy pull cord, we have only just got rid of one in that room.

There's a plastic one in our bathroom attached to a tiled wall and it's silent.

Did try to put a gasket of sorts between the plate and the wall but the buzzing didnt stop...

I asked an electrician in B&Q (not an employee) who said no way should it buzz ?

Worth getting another replacement or am I wasting my time ?

Cheers

Andy C

Proper bathroom shaver sockets have a transformer inside them (this makes them safe by isolating from the mains supply), and it is not unusual for transformers to hum

some have a button that is depressed when you plug the shaver in, that turns it on, so there should be no noise when off

What brand are they? Mine are Crabtree and silent. There are some cheap ones about

Sponsored Links
swap it for the plastic one and see if it's the fitting or the installation that's causing the problem..
might be something silly like the cavity causing an amplification effect..

if it buzzes still in it's new location, and the other one doesn't then change it again for a new one..

don't go for a cheap one just because it looks good, go for a recognised make as these often have superior build quality..

thanks ColJack

prob is that they discarded the old plastic one, but we have one in the bathroom of course. Are all shaver sockets the same size with same location of screw holes - in other words could I keep the backplate (or whatever it's screwed into) and

a) try the plastic one in its place and/or
b) buy a better quality chrome one to see if it doesnt buzz ?

they should all fit a double socket backbox.. albeit some are mounted vertically some horizontally.

and a) that's what I meant, swap it for the one in the bathroom..

where if the second one located then?

they go into an extra-deep backbox but screw locations should be standard

Look to see if it is a metal or plastic box, and if it seems to be firmly screwed to the wall. There are some tricks for loose screws, depending on what the wall is made of.

Turn off the power first and test for dead.

I had a small spate of MK shaver sockets fail not so long ago. All of the users reported that the faceplate buzzed and became warm in use and they eventually cracked straight across the centre. Many people these days leave a toothbrush plugged in and the buzzing becomes a nuisance (as does the failure). :cry:
My cure was to drop MK and use Crabtree. They still buzz a bit but none has failed yet.

I've just had a new bathroom fitted and my shave point buzzes too. Surely in this day and age they would be able to create shaver points that don't make a noise. Did your new Crabtree shave point fix the problem?

SBarker - straightsix has not posted on this site for 7 years - why do you think he will see your question?

We have this warning for a good reason:
screenshot_1237.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back