By Pass Valve - Thanks to all for help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Disconnected the washing machine tonight in preparation of a new one coming tomorrow. Unfortunately the local hot tap isolation valvc, the one with a plastic bar that you turn a quarter to isolate failed to operate. So, as I disconnnected the hot pipr from the machine hey presto piping hot water everywhere. As a non-plumber quickly spoke to mate who advised nipping up to the storage tank and turning the red valve closed. This I did with no effect, it wa then I noticed three other 'red' valves - oh bo! Anyway the upshot is I identified the correct one and managed to stop the flow. The problem I have is the first valve I thought was the right one had a label (funny how you don;t see things when in a panic) which said by pass valve 'DO NOT TOUCH', mmm. Now obviously I did touch but as I opened and closed it a number of times in a panic I'm clueless if this valve should be in the open or closed position??? Any experts advise before I fix the local wonky washing machine valve and re-open the system?? I'm afraid of causing damage to the heating system (if that's possible?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards, Kevin.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear - I doubt you can remember how many times you turned this valve clockwise the first time can you?

This is probably for your heating system and I suspect that a half turn from fully clockwise will suffice.

If you get horrid clunking noises or the boiler keeps going out then give it a SMALL twist anti-clockwise until the problem goes away. If things are not heating up properly then go the other way in SMALL increments.

Dan,

I just did some searching and saw that it isn't an open or shut case (no pun!). You have confirmed that and are quite correct I don;t have a clue as to the number of turns. So if I'm right your are suggesting fully opening the valve then rotating it back half a turn and seeing how things sound?

Is it worth popping into my neighbour who has the exact same system and seeing where his is positioned and then copying the setting or are they all different depending on your individual system installation?

regards, Kevin.

P.S Many thanks for the quick response!

You might be lucky. More likely you will be stuffed. When you close the red wheel valves they often seize shut for good. They may appear to turn open, but they ain't

Time for a plumber to fix the washing machine valve and the bypass?

Sponsored Links
The Incredible Hulk said:
So if I'm right your are suggesting fully opening the valve then rotating it back half a turn and seeing how things sound?

Er... No !

He said FULLY CLOCKWISE which would CLOSE it !!!!

Then turn it ANTICLOCKWISE and remove the handle so you dont fiddle with it again.

That will leave it opened just ONE turn anticlockwise.

Tony

Well guys, I've installed the w-machine and followed your advice for the by-pass valve, hot water / heating is on and I'm now going to sit with my fingers crossed!

kind regards, Kevin

P.S. Thanks to all for the immediate support, I'm truely grateful, I have a disabled and chronically ill wife and the loss of any of the services isn't even worth thinking about.

Well Dan,

Went through a full test and no problems, all radiators behaving and no strange noises!!!

I've learnt a valuable lesson - thanks again to all who offered advice.

kind regards, Kevin

Good news then... If you have "mission cirtical" circumstances it would be wise to check all valves work, are labelled and regulary tested. Make sure your immersion heater works.

If you find a valve or two don't work then I would schedule a plumber to come and fit full lever valves in place of the red hanfled gate valves (except the by-pass).

Obviously it depends on how critical it is to have full service; we do some work for a family where a system failure is not an option. Everything is checked by the husband every 6 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back