By passing a switch live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've wired a new loft light by mistake to a light switch switch live circuit,meaning the newly installed light wont switch on from it's independent light switch without having the other light on at the same time.

Rather than rewiring is it possible to run an additional live from the perm live connector off that light to the newly installed JB live, thus acting as if I had connected the jb to a perm live in the first place. Both light sockets and the Jb are wired correctly and earthed so is this a safe work around. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So explain what the new light is?
and how you have then arranged the switch for the loft light?
Also how are the cables terminated at the bathroom light switch?
where is the neutral for the loft light is coming from?
Can't offer you help if I/we don't know what the set up is at the other ends.
It's just coloured cable at the moment does not mean a great deal.
I assume it is the perm live(brown) and switch live (blue) of bathroom light, with reference to earlier post.
So when the bathroom light is switch on, it closes cable to the switch of loft light, which I am guessing is the new light spur on the drawing (but that is a guess) This in turn when closed will take a switch live (brown then blue with sleeve) to loft, and there is already a perm live (brown) going to loft lights.
but no neutral, so the loft light has voltage via perm live and switch live, but no returning neutral.
It's a hash up and needs to be done correctly!

It's because you've used green sleeve for the Earth rather than green and yellow! Kidding

Can you explain what the difference between "spur to new light" and "new cable to loft light" is, as they sound like the same thing.

[CUT]What's that resistor?[/CUT]

Looks to my untrained eyes like your original light was looped at the switch rather than the rose? If so, then the rose will only ever have power when the original switch is on! How many cables are in the original switch? can you post a photo of the inside of it?

If it was looped at the switch then my untrained approach would be to either take a feed from another room which is looped at the rose or take your loft feed from the bathroom switch.

You will only need 1 cable going from the rose/original switch for your new light, just take that to your new switch and then a cable from the new switch to your new light.

What resistor?

And all the other stuff he's already been told in his first topic, but I'm getting the feeling that he doesn't have a clue what any of it means, so he started again.

The brown blob on the neutral on new cable to loft light, looked liked an attempt to draw a resistor, I guess it's actually just brown covering,

If it was a resistor, it would have coloured bands on it. ;)

JBDiagram.jpg

What you have drawn is a standard junction box method.

Your labelling does not tally with what you've written.

I have added in red where the cables go, based on how they are connected in the JB.

I cannot understand what you have done.

The brown blob on the neutral on new cable to loft light, looked liked an attempt to draw a resistor, I guess it's actually just brown covering,

Don't resistors have colour bands on them donating their value??? To me im 100% certain that is sleeving for a switch live. Im that sure I would robocop it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back